General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frogs spawn for tea.....................

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 3 Jan 2013 19:20

............ Tonight we had a Tapioca pudding for dessert called “Frogs Spawn” when we were children, this got OH and me talking about school dinners and puddings. I must have had a very strange palate as a child I loved school dinners.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 3 Jan 2013 19:31

Got any left for me, I love Tapioca pudding and I used to love school dinners.

I was telling my gr/son about the school dinners we had at school, when tables were laid and teachers or prefects sat at the head of the table and meals were 'proper meals' not chips or slices of pizza.

Off down memory lane again :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 3 Jan 2013 19:37

oh real steam treacle roly poly mmmm

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jan 2013 19:38

Gypsy Pudding :-D <3

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 3 Jan 2013 19:40

Chocolate concrete and pink custard :-D

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 3 Jan 2013 20:07

I will meet you down memory lane Ginnie, I loved chocolate sponge pudding with green custard................. <3

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 3 Jan 2013 20:08

College pudding and custard - or spotted dick :-)

Sorry Paula, but I couldn't bear tapioca or sago pudding - then or ever :-D

Tec.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 3 Jan 2013 20:09

oh ya cant get sago now :-(

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 3 Jan 2013 20:19

Rice pudding with the 'brown skin' , sigh.......

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Jan 2013 20:21

Where did you get tapioca?

Janet

Janet Report 3 Jan 2013 20:21

I hated school dinners and I never ate anything apart from a piece of concrete which we had probably once a week. I used to put a bit of gravy on my plate to give the impression that I had finished my meal. The stench of cooking meat still makes me feel yukky. We used to have a colourful dessert which we called Brylcreem.
I could never work out how food could be presented with such a foul smell, in particular the cabbage. I know chips and pizza might not be healthy but I would have given the world to have had something like that all those years ago. -jl

Ron2

Ron2 Report 3 Jan 2013 20:30

With being diabetic milk puds are a no go for me. Milk can up one's sugars. In fact a hot milky drink is one of the ways to get out of a hypo. Used to like Semolina with some jam but that on banned list as well due high sugar content. Tis a hard life

GinN

GinN Report 3 Jan 2013 21:03

I found school dinners awful, particularly in the infant and junior school I went to. They used to try to force you to eat everything, which put me off some things for life! :-P

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Jan 2013 21:10

JustGinnie...Ours was the other way round Pink sponge & chocolate custard :-D

Loved Tapioca , semolina & anything with a Skin ;-)

Wend

Wend Report 3 Jan 2013 21:10

*Shivers* at the memory of frogs' spawn at school, served with tinned prunes - yuk!

Spotted Dick and custard - yum, yum :-D

Why is sago no longer available? According to a recipe I have for roast pots, it's good for sprinkling over and making them crispy.

GinN

GinN Report 3 Jan 2013 21:14

I think you might mean semolina, Wend - that's what I've read in recipes, and you can get that easily.

Lynda

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2013 21:23

Tapioca - I would starve before eating that - we had it at least once a week in school - I usually took an envelope in my pocket and poured it in that and then deposited it down the loo

the other meals I can recall were fish pie - which you could smell when you arrived at school that morning, and cheese and potato pie which wasn't too bad

it was still food rationing time so spose it was the best they could come up with

Wend

Wend Report 3 Jan 2013 21:28

That's it Lynda - I had a feeling I was wrong! I still can't find semolina though. Where do you buy it?

Now, I used to love semolina at school with a blob of jam in the middle. Used to stir it around until it turned pink!

GinN

GinN Report 3 Jan 2013 21:35

I thought you could still get it, Wend, but fine polenta is sort of the same thing.
I found school semolina was a bit like wallpaper paste! But it was better than their tapioca :-P

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Jan 2013 21:38

For some reason Semolina is usually in The ethnic aisles along with coconut milk & corn meal :-S