General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jeremy Kyle..................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 4 Jan 2013 11:51

Whilst ironing I usually listen to the radio, but this morning left the TV on. After a while I was literally stopped in my tracks. The reason being, the Jeremy Kyle programme was on, I have never watched the programme fully before. I was shocked at the at the abject anger, bordering on violence, the language used, and the very personal disclosures of the participants. As part of my job for many years I worked as a trained counsellor so I am aware of the benefits of getting things off your chest. However, I find it difficult to grasp how the people concerned are helped, it was just dreadful, and a frightening insight as to how many people live their lives. Jeremy Kyle himself seemed to incite anger.

Note to myself. This is one programme to avoid.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2013 12:12

I sometimes watch this programme and think that a lot is done after the broadcast to rectify the situation and diffuse the anger.

What you see is the problem at it's worst but there are follow up programmes shown on occasion.

They are usually people who quite evidently are not coping with their lives and this is causing a great deal of anger which is what the programme illustrates.

Better the anger is vented in a controlled environment with some hope of change than carry on being aimlessly vented in the home with no hope of a resolution.

Janet

Janet Report 4 Jan 2013 12:40

I occasionally watch the program and I have never had any connection with counselling, but I can appreciate that there are people who express their anger this way. Does it make good television? its hard to say but I do believe that there are people behind the scenes who do try to resolve the problem which the viewer is sharing.

I would have thought that anyone who had done any counselling would use this program as practice . After all most people who need counselling are either angry or depressed. Or my theory is that all depressed people are angry but just haven't realised it.

Having been to counselling, the once, I quickly realised I had more idea of counselling than the person I was talking to. I would think if I admitted to being a trained counsellor and being shocked by this program something doesn't quite add up.....hmmm-jl

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 4 Jan 2013 12:45

I understand what you are saying Sharron, but my thoughts are for the childen, families and friends that are the subject of the participants wrath. Also there are other agencies were these issues can be aired in private with trained mediators and ongoing support. I guess it just makes "good" TV for some people.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 4 Jan 2013 14:27

I question why there is a need for the participants to pour out so much distress in such a public demonstration. My training was all about listening and remaining calm, forming opinions through observation and remaining non judgemental. Always allowing the other person(s) time and to be given the chance to express their points of view. There was often tears and outbursts of anger which were dealt with calmly, until a mutual solution was agreed. Sometimes things were resolved, and sometimes they were not. Clients always have the opportunity to be referred if they thought they were not getting any benefit from a specific counsellor. I was trained how to deal with difficult and aggressive behaviour, and never had to call for a security guard to diffuse any situation. My shock came not from the actual content, but from the way this programme used the participants and the host (Jeremy Kyle) in my opinion seemed to manipulate and incite some of his guests.

Joeva

Joeva Report 4 Jan 2013 14:49

I have seen bits of this show a couple of times this week, from what I gather it is showing excerpts from previous programs throughout the year.

Maybe what's being aired as the 'best bits' are the most shocking confrontations they can find ! ;-)