General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Winchelsea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2013 16:29

I am planning to go to Winchelsea some time soon because it is one of Edward 1 s newtowns but I won't expect anybody to be interested in that!

There is a pub there I believe and I just wondered if anybody fancied meeting there.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Jan 2013 19:13

Have you ever been to Winchelsea before?

If not then do not expect much, there is 1 shop and we only ever found 1 pub. The church is lovely and there is a marvelous stained glass window of St. George & the Dragon

And that is where Spike Milligan is buried.

Very pretty, but oh so very very quiet.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 5 Jan 2013 19:22

Relax, Sharron, I am not coming to Winchelsea :-D

But I have been thinking a lot about my dad and his cousin Mary today. They were both 3 days younger than my mother in law, who is 95 and still lives in Holywell in North Wales!!

Both dad and Mary were born 6 Jan 1918. Dad in Wolverhampton, Mary in Wellington, Salop. Dad died 1978 Weston super Mare, Mary 2005 in Winchelsea.

Mary lived at 2 Hiham Green and her father was a Bank Manager. Not like Captain Mainwaring!! Mary was 6 feet tall and father was quite a bit taller.

Just had a quick google at Winchesea and what a lovely sounding place. Hope you have a successful and enjoyable day. :-) :-)

Wend

Wend Report 5 Jan 2013 19:26

Sharron will like that PP - she's very quiet herself ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jan 2013 19:39

I went there about 30 years ago, it was lovely, we were on holiday near Rye and I would love to go back sometime, loved the thatched cottages and little lanes...I hope some of them are still the same!

Alas too far at the moment but enjoy yourself Sharron :-) I don't know that it will still be there but there was a small museum in one of the old buildings which was interesting.

Wend

Wend Report 5 Jan 2013 20:13

It's certainly a very attractive part of Sussex and I would love to meet Sharron there. However, she already knows I am unable to at the moment, sadly.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jan 2013 11:12

I might be able to be coaxed over the county border depending on when this is all going to happen.............
:-)

Never been TO Winchelsea apart from visiting a Wesleyan chapel on one of the Heritage open days, but we often drive through / round.
One of the Ancient towns supporting the Cinque Ports.

I like a place with a bit of history.

Gwyn

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jan 2013 11:51

Hoped you might.

It is a cinque port.

We have driven past it before and now I want to go in and feel it.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jan 2013 11:55

Let me know when and I'll hope to be there.

Gwyn

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jan 2013 11:58

I will indeed andpromise not to bring Gobsalt again!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jan 2013 12:02

Bring who you like !

When I was last over that way ( November ?) The pub at the lower level, 'The Bridge ' was empty and up for sale.
Not sure what others are there.....

Gwyn

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jan 2013 12:05

Gwyn,you don't want to listen to him droning on for the entire time again!

There is bound to be something around there open.

Merlin

Merlin Report 6 Jan 2013 13:41

The biggish Pub that was there has closed and is up for sale, however there is a small one down the hill going out towards Rye by the bridge.Its a nice little place but not much there, mainly Historic,Oh the is a Cafe come shop there .**M**.

PatrickM

PatrickM Report 6 Jan 2013 14:35

The Bridge Inn has closed and is now being developed into a house.
Winchelsea Lodge the other side of Winchelsea I believe is still open.

Not sure about the New Inn. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/25/25094/New_Inn/Winchelsea

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 6 Jan 2013 15:20

If you are a nature lover, Winchelsea is a great place for a holiday. The nearby nature reserve near Rye Harbour has nesting Avocets and many other birds.
Couple of nice pubs at Rye Harbour as well.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 6 Jan 2013 17:09

arghhh bringing back memories used to drive through Winchelsea to get to work in RYe