General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 10 Jan 2013 16:46

I've recently checked for names on other peoples FT and found some that I could have a connection to so I've sent messages to the GR member but haven't had any replies and am wondering if this is because they are no longer members. If this is the case wouldn't it be better for GR to delete these ex members trees as they aren't serving any purpose?

What do other members think?

Kath

jax

jax Report 10 Jan 2013 17:08

This comes up on a regular basis

To have a tree on GR it is free, so why would GR delete it just because they do not reply?

They may have died or just taking a break or changed their email address, but GR would not know about this as they cannot be expected to keep tabs on all of their 13 million so called members

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 10 Jan 2013 17:23

What I find a bit of a pain, is when the tree owner opens the requests I send almost immediately but do not reply.
Shows they are active members and on the boards. Even a thanks but no thanks would be courteous. Don,t you think

If they want to remain private with no contact with other members perhaps GR could put a "stop" on their tree or something. Then we wouldn't be wasting our time.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 10 Jan 2013 17:25

I didn't say that I thought GR member's trees should be deleted if they do not reply to other members, what I said was, I thought if they were no longer members their trees should be deleted, I said this not knowing that it was free as I only put mine on when I became a paying member.

jax

jax Report 10 Jan 2013 17:31

Barbinglos

It does'nt show that they are active members, it just shows they have been sent an email from GR saying there is a message from xyz

I sent my ex husband a message a couple of years ago and yes he replied...probably because he saw my name and thought it would be rude not too? (we are on speaking terms) He has never used the boards or paid to use the site, and he probably has not touched his tree since he added a few names back in 2007....so should his tree be deleted?

I joined in 2007 but did not start paying until 2010

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 10 Jan 2013 17:52

jax

So when one sends a message a black envelope appears on the sent message piece. I have had some of those for weeks.
But I thought when the black envelope disappears it meant the message has been opened t'other end. You are saying that isn't correct???

:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

jax

jax Report 10 Jan 2013 18:04

Yes if it disapears it has been opened, but it does'nt mean they are active on the boards or have even looked at their tree for the last 10 years...just that they still have the same email address.

I am not sure whether you would have to return to GR and sign in to view the message or just opening the email would remove the envelope? If they have made an effort to return to the site, then it would be good manners to reply.....unless it's a "will you open your tree" message...in that case I would ignore it, if no details of the reason why is given

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 10 Jan 2013 18:48

Thanks jax

All clear to me now :-) :-)