General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ever been had?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Jan 2013 05:02

Had to laugh the other day. We have a field at the end of the garden, only 30 or so feet away from the house. There is always a crop grown, sometimes grain, sometimes potato or sugar beet.

There are always flocks of seagulls and pigeons eating there and there was a mechanical 'gunshot' bird scarer which was annoying but didn't seem to do a lot of good.

About a week ago I noticed a large bird swooping about and assumed it was a bird of prey or a big seagull, forgot to mention it to o.h. He came in a few days ago showing me a film he had taken on his new camera of this same bird and said he watched for ages and it just swooped leisurely about and never seemed to swoop down quickly as if to catch something. Not sure what would be there to catch in this cold weather. The field is very boggy as the water table is high here.

O.h. showed the film to the neighbour who is knowledgeable about birds, and he started laughing. Didn't you see them fixing the pole just after Christmas, he asked? It's a new bird scarer, attached to a line from a tall pole but it does the job and scares away the other birds that were eating the crop. Of course, when you know what it is you realise it's not a real bird, the swooping was too regular and in the same pattern lol but we were both fooled originally lol

Lizx

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 12 Jan 2013 08:42

Thats my first laugh of the day sorted. Thanks

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Jan 2013 08:46

A self launching Kite

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Jan 2013 10:07

Nice to have a chuckle with cornflakes, Liz. :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Jan 2013 16:55

Glad I made you smile, folks, it really made me laugh when o.h. told me he had found out what sort of bird it was lol I know his eyesight isn't brllliant, but he was looking from over the hedge, my glimpse was momentary as I was washing up and glanced out the window. The pole and bird are way across the field and the pole is not clearly visible.

Nice one, Bob!

Lizx