General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Had my 6th man this morning !!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 12 Jan 2013 14:16

Yes my 6th gas repair man since 1st jan when my heating decided to stop working and it still isn't working !!!

They are sending their top engineer on monday .

Will all the parts they have fitted I will soon have a new boiler .

Kathy in the freezing north of scotland

quick question why do boilers never break down in summer ?????

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Jan 2013 14:19

Kathy. That is our worst nightmare almost. And yes, never when weather is mild and the cold is bearable :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Jan 2013 14:46

Hello Kathy, long time no see you on here, hope you are well. Yes, the one time our boiler went wrong it was January. I hope they fix it properly for you soon.

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 13 Jan 2013 01:21

Thanks Ann and John

It will some times turn on and last for an hour or less then it won't turn on at all so it is hit or miss .

What I would give for a lovely hot bath right now !!!!!

Anyone want a lodger with heating needs ?

Kathy

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Jan 2013 03:32

Hi Kathy, I know exactly how you feel love, having gone through all that at my house for a long time.

Sorry I haven't phoned, been difficult but will call you soon.

Take care and pile on the clothes, hope you are having lots of hot drinks and meals to keep you warm from the inside

love and hugs (warm ones)

Lizxx

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 Jan 2013 10:09

Must be costing you a fortune in tea and biscuits!
Perhaps the answer to your question is, we only seem to get about four weeks summer a year!

Fingers crossed for Monday,
Mayfield. (Retired gas fitter!)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Jan 2013 12:15

when i read the title i thought lucky girl lol ;-) ;-)
after reading the post not so lucky

i hope its fixed soon

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 13 Jan 2013 12:39

Just what I needed snow !!!!

I have a gas fire in the living room and if you sit 6 inches in front of it you feel a little heat .Trouble is the cat has claimed that space .

My son managed to switch the heating on but it only lasted 20 mins then switched off when I called him down to try again I got a load of moaning and told I am not coming down every time it goes off so now I am not speaking to him .

Time to go visit a neighbour or into town to the shops at least they are warm.

Kathy

thinking about getting a one bedroom little flat for the over 55 for me and the cat !!!!

Merlin

Merlin Report 13 Jan 2013 12:56

Have you tried switching it on permenantly (24hrs) it sounds like your timing switch has gone kaput,(Next time they come dont let them leave till its working properly) Ask them if they will fit you an ( UP2 Duel Channel Programmer) for heating and hot water. hope its sorted soon. **M**.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Jan 2013 14:57

our boiler developed a fault where it wouldnt fire up first thing in the morning, yet once fired up would cycle on and off all day,changed the thermocouple, changed the boiler stat, but the fault persisted intermittently. however eventually the gas valve was changed,............Job Done!!

bob

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 13 Jan 2013 23:27

Son eventually feeling guilty came down an hour later .He managed to get the boiler going and apart from about 15 shut downs has worked all day .

He had a shower and I had the long awaited bath !!!!!! BLISS

Number 7 you better be good

Having said that number 6 was fit !!!!!! He could definately light my fires ( naughty me )

Merlin and Bob thanks for your in put but all away above my head .All I know is I have a lousy boiler that I can't tell you the name Al""" that is known to have leaks which I have experienced in the past but this is the first time I have had this many problems .

sods law I have 2 officials coming tomorrow morning and the house will probably be freezing

A clean Kathy with hair washed

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jan 2013 05:47

Glad you managed to get the bath you were longing for and hope things go ok today, love. Nice that you had a fit chap to visit even if he wasn't quite up to the job in hand lol

Will give you a call asap. Been thinking about you especially when watching the weather forecast. We are due snow later today which is a pain as it means o.h. will take the car to work and I won't be able to do the errands I need to do or pick up my prescription from the doc. A little snow flurried around the garden a while ago but didn't settle and it's stopped now.

Take care, might be an idea to think about downsizing

love
Lizxx

Merlin

Merlin Report 14 Jan 2013 14:41

Don,t let them con you into getting a new Boiler. Most can be repaired.**M**.

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 14 Jan 2013 15:22

Well my 7th man came today not a lead engineer as I was promised but a bog standard plumber .

He fitted yet another part got it going then left .Less than an hour later it had cut out again !!!!!

Called the company to be told that their lead man is on jury service and they don't know when he will be back .They are sending yet another engineer tomorrow .

Question how many men does it take to fix a boiler ?????

Kathy

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 14 Jan 2013 15:35

If your with the Gas Board on a contract sorry but I think you're wasting your time, we had a contract years ago with them they were useless, kept changing the same part and it kept stopping, eventually got a registered gas fitter and plumber in he told us that the gas board use refurbished parts not new when they come to change parts, that's why they don't last, (they also take your old parts away with them), best thing we ever did was find a decent independant gas fitter/plumber, we still use him, worth his weight in gold.
I hope everything gets sorted for you quickly, the next fitter that comes, lock him in the kitchen and tell him he's not going til he's fixed your boiler.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Jan 2013 16:19

Kathy near the,

You have my sympathy, in the winter of 2010 where I lived before I moved here, I had very similar problems.

They fitted part after part but the problem still persisted, engineer number 6 came and he fitted another new part, some sort of diaphragm pressure switch which was connected to about three of four small plastic tubes.

Before he put the boiler back together he blew through each of the tubes to make sure there were no blockages and discovered one had a small split in it, he replaced that tube and the problem was finally resolved.

Got nearly a new boiler with all the parts they fitted, which were probably not needed, thank goodness my contract covered parts and labour, all because none of the previous engineers checked the plastic tubes to that pressure switch.

Trouble these days when there is a problem with complicated equipment like gas boilers they look for a complicated solution first :-(

I do hope that they get it fixed for you soon.

Best Wishes

James

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 14 Jan 2013 17:09

Hi Kathy,
When I worked for BG, I was the guy that's supposed on Jury service (I wonder) If anyone got past the stonewall that was our contact bureaux they would dust me off and send me out with the instruction “get this customer off our backs don’t care what it takes just do it!”
In those days it was the Gas Consultative Council or Head office at Croydon that struck terror into line managers. The GCC has long gone but a complaint to head office with the obligatory phrase “Copy to BBC Watchdog” and referring to Facebook should focus their minds it’s the ones that scream loudest that get done first I’m afraid!

Quick on-line search throws this up
http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/contactus-personal-details/complaints.html
it might be of some help.

Good luck,
Mayfield.

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 14 Jan 2013 17:54

Hi Kathy ,
we had the same as you about 7 yrs ago , our combi kept breaking down
we had in total 11 men from BG we had no hot water or heating , they would fix it make sure the water was hot before they left but as soon as i turned on the tap the water was cold , in the end i started really complaining they sent out an older man and he done the job no trouble, but in the mean time we very nearly had a new boiler .
Hazelx

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 15 Jan 2013 00:46

Thanks all for your comments

Today has been the worse as the boiler will only come on when the raidiators are cold . This doesn't happen at first or 10 try so it is also getting very cold in doors .

We now have a lot or snow and weather forcast not good .

I am not with BG I am scottish so am with S E .They tell me that there is no limit on call outs but hay ho this must be costing them a fortune .

I will not tie up number 8 but if 6 came back I may tempted ???

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jan 2013 01:05

Tell them the boiler (if they fitted it) is 'not fit for purpose'.
Or, if they didn't fit it, their contract is 'not fit for purpose', and as an elder of society you would expect a better service, then quote the Office of Fair Trading at them - if you Google, you're bound to find an act that covers bad heating engineers.