General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stores going into administration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jan 2013 11:48

Isn't it time that some sort of protective legislation was passed on behalf of cutomers? Two stores that have recently gone to the wall, Jessups and HMV have been selling vouchers to customers right up to the date of closure. This leaves thousands of customers out of pocket.

Surely something could be put into place to allow people with vouchers to redeem them (on line if needs be) from the remaining stock.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Jan 2013 12:29

Once a company goes into administration all trading has to stop. This is the law.

And I would imagine that the staff at both companies still selling vouchers had no real idea that the next day they would be unemployed.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jan 2013 12:54

I know it is the law which is why there should also be a law that protects the consumer by maybe giving the opportunity at a later date to recoup their money by buying the products which are 'taken over' by the administrators. the staff may not have known but it had been in the press that they were in trouble before they stopped trading. So somebody knew.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 16 Jan 2013 12:57

I agree. I see vouchers as a contract...there definitely should be measures in place to reimburse those who purchased in good faith.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 16 Jan 2013 13:00

Sadly Ann, the customer is just one in a long line of creditors, who will not get any money back. :-(

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 16 Jan 2013 13:02

Or you could do this if you were brave enough lol........http://www.independent.ie/national-news/grandad-walks-out-of-hmv-with-computer-games-after-staff-refuse-to-accept-gift-voucher-3354747.html

Good for him !!!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 16 Jan 2013 13:06

Personally I will not buy any vouchers from now on, no matter how large the company is. So sorry for all those who gave and received vouchers as presents this year.
In fact the wife and I are off to the garden centre just now to cash in some we have had for a while.

Needs looking at just like the chrismas club fiasco a couple of years ago.

Regards,
Mayfield

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Jan 2013 13:12

I must say that I am amazed that people would buy vouchers for HMV - I heard on radio this morning (Steve Allen LBC) comparison prices of 2 albums, and the cost of those via HMV was twice the price of buying online.

Unless stores start to get real with their pricing and also have more instore facilities for buying downloads more of this type of store will close.

It is getting to the point where there will be only supermarkets on the street, and even many of us now buy the bulky household goods online. Why carry household cleaning product and tinned goods when you can get it delivered for free? We only go to the shops for fresh meat, bread and veggies.

Merlin

Merlin Report 16 Jan 2013 13:46

Personally I think that All Deposit/Voucher Monies should be Ringfenced to protect the customer and not included in the sales of any company untill the sale is completed.**M**.

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 16 Jan 2013 15:08

It now seems that Blockbusters is being added to the list of places that are closing :-0

Jules x