General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you could buy and restore any type of property

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2013 21:04

what would it be? and would you have a specific use for it in mind?

( well it's not a thread about the weather lol ;-) )

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Jan 2013 21:07

Bungalow

With enough rooms to make two bedrooms and two sitting rooms and an office. One en-suite would be nice and a small bathroom. Kitchen with enough room for a small dining table but would not have to be enormous.

That way I could get Mum to come and live with me

Jeniwren

Jeniwren Report 17 Jan 2013 21:09

A vardo, then I could go travelling.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Jan 2013 21:12

An igloo, Rose. Have you seen the weather for Wales and the Marches tonite :-0 :-0 :-0

RoseoftheShires

RoseoftheShires Report 17 Jan 2013 21:13

There is derelict farmhouse in the middle of a field looking out over our local reservoir with a forset beyond I WANT IT!! I would love to bring an old buliding back to life nothing fancy jsut big enough for three of us oh and my cats lol

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2013 21:14

That would be lovely Jeniwren :-D

Glitterbaby, I have several elderly friends who live alone, and get lonely ( different parts of the country)...I'd like an 'estate' lol, with a stable block or barns that could be converted into bungalows, then they would both have company, somewhere suitable to live, and would be near at hand for me to visit.

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2013 21:18

You might manage an igloo tomorrow John, brought back a memory that did, of school when they did a frieze ( which ran the length of a wall) of 'people from around the world' and always had an eskimo in furs outside an igloo :-D

Rach, that sounds lovely :-)

RoseoftheShires

RoseoftheShires Report 17 Jan 2013 21:20

Oh Rose it would be perfect we often drive around the countryside and its amazing how many derelict houses etc there are its really sad

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 17 Jan 2013 21:22

It would have to be a barn for me, all on one level as im disabled and can't do stairs...Would love it open plan with lots of windows, underfloor heating and solar panels....

Jules x

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2013 21:27

Rach there's a house I pass on the bus sometimes, it's probably 18th century (?) and though it is lived in it's in a poor state outside at any rate, could be a real gem if someone had the money to do it up.

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2013 21:29

Jules, there was one like that on a recent 'escape to the country', open plan and incredibly easy access for the young man who was in a wheelchair.

RoseoftheShires

RoseoftheShires Report 17 Jan 2013 21:30

It really is so sad to see them isnt it? We are constantly doing something with our house to keep it well maintained it doesn't seem to be important to people these days :-(

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 17 Jan 2013 21:34

Rose for every derelict you can show me,I could show you a building plan.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Jan 2013 21:55

Did up one 15th c thatched cottage, just checked to see how much it last sold for...I bought it in 1973 for £16k it sold a ouple of years ago for £360k Builder knocked out 5 fire places each smaller than the last until he got back to a huge inglenook. On the other side of that was a very unusual shaped semi circular inglenook which helped date the building. I left the original copper boiler in the outhouse, amazing piece of invention.

Then we did up the farm to be habitable (no kitchen when we bought it) but didn't spoil it by doing too much.

We did look at empty chapels but they are money pits :-( if money was no object then definitely a chapel or church.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Jan 2013 22:27

If just for me then something quirky.

I hate those property development programmes when they put large doors into the lounge. Lived in one that had sliding doors and hated it as you could not have it open when wet and windy.

Hate open plan and under floor heating

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 17 Jan 2013 22:31

Buck' House, coz if I had the funds to do that, I could 'do up' the log cabin in the woods that I'd love, and have sufficient grounds to let my 'baby tigers' run free without concerns.
And I could shoot poachers :-D and introduce itinerent Druids to 'the Wicker Man' :-D :-D
Blissssss .....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2013 23:23

Rose, If I won a few millions on the lottery, it's always been my dream to open a care/retirement home combined with a rare breeds farm and gardens.
That would give the 'clients' something to do - dig the garden, plant the veggies etc, and look after the livestock, and we could eat the very fresh, additive/pesticide free and tasty produce :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Jan 2013 23:59

down the field from the cottage where I used to live on the side of Caerphilly mountain there are the ruins of a cottage in a wood alongside the brook - my great grandparents lived in that cottage but unfortunately it was destroyed by fire about sixty/seventy years ago - how lovely to have that restored - it was called Dwr Annwyl, which I think translates as Welcome water [could be wrong]

My Gr Grandparents, Daniel and Louisa Breakspear fled from Berkshire to Wales after Daniel was caught poaching rabbits - a hanging offence at the time apparently

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jan 2013 07:51

Maggie, can I book a place at that home now please :-D

will be back later , just trying to persuade D that it's possibly not a good idea to go to college given the expected snow...

Merlin

Merlin Report 18 Jan 2013 13:44

Bit late for me now but I would have liked to restore a Small Manor house but include Modern facilities in it. I,ve done two Semi,s ,a Terrace,Four detatched and a large Victorian Villa,Its amazing what people do,they rip out the lovely fireplaces and windows etc and (To my mind Ruin Them) Half the fun (Apart from the hard work) is finding the neccessary bits and pieces to restore them.