General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AUSTRALIA ~ COLES SUPERMARKETS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Jan 2013 04:58

PRODUCT RECALL ~ CONTAMINATION

I received an email from Coles:

Dear X,

As a valued customer of Coles and a flybuys member, we?d like to alert you to a product safety issue.

Coles Supermarkets Limited is recalling a variety of Coles Finest and Jindi cheese products. The reason for this PRODUCT RECALL from sale is due to a microbiological contamination.

Please see the table below for a list of affected products:

Product name Affected date code

Coles Finest Cheese Triple Cream Brie 175g Any best before up to and including 22/02/13

Coles Finest Cheese Triple Cream Blue 140g Any best before up to and including 21/02/13

Coles Finest Cheese Double Cream Camembert 175g Any best before up to and including 17/02/13

Jindi Triple Cream Brie 180g Any best before up to and including 09/03/13

Jindi Deluxe Blue Wedge 120g Jindi Deluxe Blue Wedge 120g

Jindi Cheese Camembert 200g Any best before up to and including 20/03/13

Jindi Cheese Brie 200g Any best before up to and including 20/03/13

Jindi Brie 125g Any best before up to and including 27/02/13

Jindi Cheese Triple Cream 1.5KG Any best before up to and including 22/03/13

Jindi Cheese Reserve Washed Rind 230g Any best before date

Jindi Cheese Reserve Washed Rind 1KG Any best before up to and including 15/03/13

Jindi Cheese Reserve Estate Blue 1KG Any best before up to and including 11/03/13

Jindi Cheese Reserve Camembert 250g Any best before up to and including 24/02/13

Jindi Cheese Reserve Camembert 250g Any best before up to and including 05/03/13

Jindi Cheese Reserve Brie 1 KG Any best before up to and including 13/03/13

Consumers who have purchased the highlighted products should not eat them and should dispose of them or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.

The affected products have been available for sale from the deli counter and dairy case in Coles Supermarkets including BI-LO throughout Tasmania, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Northern Territory, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory and also through Coles online.

For further information see www.foodstandards.gov.au or if you have any concerns regarding this product, please call Coles Customer Care 1800 061 562.

:-(

I hope nobody got sick <3

badger

badger Report 20 Jan 2013 10:49

Swap you for some horse burgers ? seems the whole worlds food makkets are in meltdown..Fred :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jan 2013 11:21

It is all cream cheeses isn't it? nasty, hope they recalled in time to stop people eating it.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Jan 2013 14:37

It's a worry. A lot of these cheeses would have been sold over the Christmas/New Year period.

I'd swap with you badger, but I took my cheese back to the supermarket yesterday. It had been beckoning me for a few days, glad I wasn't weak!

I've eaten horse! In Eastern Europe......... steak, they called it. Very dark meat & quite strong. I'm not too fond of "gamey" meat, I don't even like rabbit.

Not sure about burgers......but I can see them selling at Macca's - the Dobbin - do you want fries with that, or an order of hay?

:-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Jan 2013 22:03

nudged for Aussies

I'm worried someone may have this cheese in the fridge :-|

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 20 Jan 2013 22:13

I don't have any in the fridge Scozz nor did I buy any at Christmas - but thanks for the warning :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 21 Jan 2013 01:03

I'm wondering if Coles sell cheeseburgers?

;-)

badger

badger Report 21 Jan 2013 10:14

Try soaking your rabbit in well salted water overnight Scozz' you will find the gamey taste is a heck of a lot milder,never tried horse ,but i have tried venison ,and Kangaroo ,as well as Yak meat ,but don't fancy horse meat ,after owning a few over the years,Fred. :-)

Kense

Kense Report 21 Jan 2013 11:33

Do they sell head cheese?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2013 03:13

a bit reluctant to eat rabbit these days, because of mixy & the rabbits in Oz have some other strange disease. Our local butcher has kangaroo, crocodile, buffalo and rabbits..... he'd probably get jabberwocky if I asked.

Friend was in Egypt, got a sandwich..... she found out later it was camel :-D

lol about head cheese. Friends in the States kept talking about grandma's head cheese (they all hated it). They told me what it was....... brawn! My granny made it too but in Scotland it was called potted hough (say the gh like the ch in loCH, the Scottish way, not loCK!).

Allan

Allan Report 22 Jan 2013 08:05

Lol Scozz,

Potted Hough, pronounced the way you describe could almost be hock :-D

I make a type of brawn out of pork hocks....very nice!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2013 09:48

It doesn;t matter what you call it, or pronounce it, I still HATE the stuff.

It's like eating slime with lumps in it.

:-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Feb 2013 23:32

In today's news:

A third person has died following a listeria outbreak linked to soft cheeses produced in Victoria.

Victoria's acting chief health officer, Dr M* A*, has confirmed the death of a 68-year-old New South Wales man in late January was linked to the listeria contamination of Jindi cheese products, Fairfax reported on Sunday.

An 84-year-old Victorian man and a 44-year-old Tasmanian man have also died of listeria infection. A pregnant NSW woman miscarried. More than 20 other cases have been reported.

Jindi has voluntarily recalled all batches of cheese manufactured up to January 6.
Listeria, a bacterial infection, has a long incubation period and more people could become ill.

The Victoria health department says it acted promptly to contain the outbreak, but has warned there could be more cases.

Allan

Allan Report 10 Feb 2013 21:14

One of the problems with listeria is that the incubation period can be up to 70 days, so even though immediate action was taken, other cases may still appear

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Feb 2013 23:36

Allan ~ it's not good. I love soft cheese, but won't be buying any for a while.

My immune system isn't good, and I don't want to get sick....... I'm not ready to pop my clogs just yet.

Allan

Allan Report 10 Feb 2013 23:44

lol, Scozz. I know what you mean. I prefer hard cheese but my OH loves the soft ones.

We normally buy ours (now) from a local small cheese-maker where different flavoured ones are made, and even the standard camembert and brie have a totally different taste to those sold in the big supermarkets :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Feb 2013 04:38

I've heard there's a small(ish) cheese making place near us, must find out!

We lived in Europe for a while, got most things we wanted, but couldn't find cheddar cheese! Reminded me of the Monty Python skit......... it's the single most popular cheese in the world! Not in Germany :-D

I love cheddar cheese with a Granny Smith :-D

Have you (or your wife) tried fried camembert with redcurrent sauce? Bliss.

No offence granny!! I really do have a grandmother Smith (her maiden name) <3

<3

Edit: found the cheese factory: http://www.cheeseplease.com.au/

Allan

Allan Report 12 Feb 2013 21:29

Scozz, weve never thought of frying camembert.

Before coming out to Australia one of the areas I worked in in the UK was Macclesfield, in Cheshire. I used to love buying the home-made Cheshire cheeses from the various farmhouses. Each one tasted slightly different.

here is a link to our local outlet I mentioned. It's about 20 kms from us

http://harveycheese.com/