General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone besides myself relate to this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 20 Jan 2013 18:42

17th Century Nun's Prayer

Lord You know better than I know myself that I am growing older and will some day be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking that I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to straighten out everyone's affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody, hepful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all, but You know Lord that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details, give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips on my aches and pains. They are increasing and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by. I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of others' pains, but help me to endure them with patience.
I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessing cock-sureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to be a saint - some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. Give me the ability to see good in unexpected places, talents in unexpected people, and give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so. Amen.

I found this amongst my late Mother's bits and pieces, was she warning me do you think or just advising me?

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 20 Jan 2013 18:55

Whatever it was., May, I have read and taken it on board! I particularly like 'keep me reasonably sweet' :-D

BC XX

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 20 Jan 2013 19:00

My Sister and I had a good laugh at it yesterday, we both know people it could apply to and are keeping our fingers crossed that we won't need "Mum's prayer" now that we are both clocking on a bit. ;-) ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 20 Jan 2013 19:11

lololol absolutely love it :-D

Sue x

aivlyS

aivlyS Report 20 Jan 2013 19:16

lol .... how appropriate is that then ? lol :-)

Wend

Wend Report 20 Jan 2013 20:04

Love that May, thankyou - I've C n P'd and shall be passing it on to a few people I know ;-) :-D <3

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 20 Jan 2013 20:06

Love it. :-)

I shall, like BC take it on board particularly the section below,

'Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to be a saint - some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. Give me the ability to see good in unexpected places, talents in unexpected people, and give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so. Amen'

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 Jan 2013 20:32

Oh dear...I think Ive already breached this May.....
I am in bad books with my daughters family since Christmas as I spoke my mind!!!
My latest great grandchild was due...she has now been born...and I asked what they were calling her...the answer...Princess....I said thats a title not a name,think about her going to school!...really upset them....why didnt I keep my big mouth shut!
I was told this is the 21st century!
Think i'll c and p this and paste it up so I can remember not to make comments like that! :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jan 2013 20:44

It is a good one May.

Brenda oops! But agree she may have problems at school.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 Jan 2013 21:02

Ann.
All my more mature friends say they would have said the same!
Why are people so touchy these days.At least I was upfront and not whispering behind backs!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2013 14:55

My mother-in-law ( 90 plus ) has a copy of this on her wall in the kitchen.

She is so easy to get along with and always has been, so it works for her !

Gwyn

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jan 2013 18:14

Wonderful!! :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 21 Jan 2013 18:18

I love it.

Wonderful!! xxx

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 21 Jan 2013 18:49

Well. I've not been out for a week and my land line phone is playing up, I can't 'phone out as I can't be heard at the other end, BT hopefully coming tomorrow between 8am and 1pm (weather permitting I expect ) so I have n't upset anyone this week but two years ago at Christmas I spoke my mind, having been goaded by others and for the first time every my family saw the other side of me and didn't like it. I do try to be good and not cause trouble but I do have a tendancy to speak my mind so perhaps I should have a copy of this prayer in each room. I think the so called stars calling their children unusual (being polite) names has caused this trend, but then I tend to be very traditional in most things. I remember when I had my Son 46 years ago my late M.in L said the name we had chosen reminded her of a certain brown bread.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 21 Jan 2013 22:41

Hovis?

Wend

Wend Report 21 Jan 2013 22:58

Oh no, not Pumpernickel, surely?

Nick for short, maybe? :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jan 2013 00:44

...and did your son suffer because of this 'unusual' name ?

My Elder daughter has what was an unusual name, which unfortunately is now quite common.
Younger daughter has an international name - ie commonplace all over the world - but considered 'strange' when she was young.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2013 03:18

That's a good one.

I'll copy it and stick it on the fridge ~ that way I'll see it every day :-D