General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Better go and get the bin back in then

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2013 15:00

*sigh
Cold weather updates

Published: 21 January 2013

Please check here for cold weather updates and information. Just checked the website for our council waste collection (bearing in mind that not everyone had access to the internet.)

Tewkesbury BC
Recycling and waste collections update

Recycling and waste collections have stopped in Tewkesbury Borough today (Monday, 21 January) due to the dangerous weather conditions on side roads and pavements.

A crew was sent out this morning to test conditions, which were found to be too dangerous, particularly when moving bins on the pavements. The council must put the safety of its residents and staff first and has therefore decided to postpone collections.

Collections were primarily due in Brockworth and all missed collectons will be picked up on the bin's next scheduled collection date. Therefore, for example, if your blue bin was missed it will be collected a fortnight later on your next blue bin scheduled collection. Additional side-waste will also be collected to compensate for the delay.

I wonder where they tested because in this area the snow and ice has all gone from side roads.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2013 16:16

I'd better go and check our council site.... Our bin day tomorrow.

Early today the side roads were poor here, but there has been quite a thaw during the day, so hopefully we will have a collection tomorrow.
Maybe your area had an early morning check..?

Gwyn

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2013 16:50

The road was almost clkear here yesterday Gwynne. But the borough cover a large area and some of it is further North than here. No doubt the bin men fancied an easy day and checked the North of the borough where they quite likely have more snow still laying. Don't mind the landfill as bin not full, but the food waste bin is as I put peelings in because OH couldn't get down to our compost bin.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 21 Jan 2013 16:59

Our bin wasn't collected today - website said they had cancelled for today - BUT they have said to leave bins out so they can be collected when it is safe to do so!!!

Now what is it our council says? lol - do not put bins out before 6am.. I would rather they just came back in 2 weeks same as yours Ann.
We have had a spate of bin fires here in the past - don't want to give them any encouragement.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 21 Jan 2013 17:20

" Many of the areas we would collect from on a Monday are very rural or are situated well away from main roads and have not been treated. Access to these areas, and many other side roads, is very difficult with most of the lying snow having turned to ice overnight. Under these circumstances it is unwise to try and gain access with collection vehicles. Our concern is for the safety of the crews and whether the vehicles can negotiate can negotiate these lanes and roads without getting stuck and/or causing accidents.

We will review the situation later today to see how operations will be undertaken for the remainder of the week. When we recommence residual waste will be our priority and we may suspend garden waste collections to assist with catch up.

We will update this site regularly.

In the meantime, please leave containers available for collection - we'll be there as soon as possible."

I have:

Black wheelie bin ...General Rubbish
Green wheelie bin...Garden waste
Black box...Plastic & tins
Green box...Newspaper etc

So does that mean I should leave all but my green wheelie out? :-S

(Did anyone spot that they have a problem negotiating lol)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2013 17:26

They had hiccups Carol. And in answer to your question, goodness knows.