General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Embassy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jan 2013 13:00

Have just seen an article on BBC news site about the frist record peoplebought and,combined with the knicker elastic thread,it prompted me to remember Embassy records from Woolworths.

They meant you coild stretch the old pocket money further than buying the pukka version.k

Wend

Wend Report 24 Jan 2013 13:06

Showing your age Sharron ;-)

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 24 Jan 2013 13:13

I remember buying some LPs from Woolies, Top Pops, or Top of the Pops, I think. Sung by different artists. The Embassy singles were quite a bit cheaper and they tended to reduce the price of them once the song was no longer in the Hit Parade.

I thought your post was going to be about ciggies !! Embassy were 2 shillings from the machine outside the corner Post Office up the road. M

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Jan 2013 13:20

The Embassy records were all knock offs with current hits "covered" by unknown singers and produced god knows where. Even the vinyl was poor. I saved up and bought the real thing - not cheap, a Beatles LP in 1964 was 37/6 or £1.75. In current money I think that is about £ 30 - no wonder HMV has gone bust. Woolworths kept on with their "covers" right up to the end with K7 and CD. There must be a vast stock on eBay somewhere.

It is amazing what original Parlophone LPs in good nick with sleeve and insert will fetch. Being mean I usually transferred the LP to reel-to-reel tape, saving the LP from day to day damage.

I always wondered just what Woolworths was for. In the end I found out - nothing - except supporting Barbara Hutton's life style. A lot of Woolworths have been replaced by PoundLane or 99p., dour and miserable places but at least they serve a purpose.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jan 2013 13:21

Yes, and there were coupons in them so people smoked themselves to death to get a set of mugs.

Am I thinking of Guards?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 Jan 2013 15:25

Kensitas.......for one......

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2013 15:55

I have a stack of 78's

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 24 Jan 2013 15:57

Ha ha, I've gone doolally.
Wrote a thing about getting Embassy cigarettes for me Mum and remembered she smoked Park Drive, so I deleted!! Durrrrrr :-0 :-0

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 24 Jan 2013 16:00

Goes to show what strange or should that be different minds we all have,

I saw Embassy and thought what´s the government /country/royals done this time. Must be because I am filling in a renewel for Mums blue badge !

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 24 Jan 2013 16:03

I thought the same as you did Uzzi....probably because my son is travelling in Africa right now...*frets.... :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2013 16:19

:-D :-D I saw Embassy and immediately thought of the cinema in the town where I grew up and where OH and I spent many an evening.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2013 16:23

in the back row no doubt ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2013 16:30

Of course ;-)