General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what was your first car?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 24 Jan 2013 21:10

Used to drive mums when I first passed that was a Talbot Horizon but first car I bought was a Mini Clubman estate in blue.

WHat was yours?

d xx

jax

jax Report 24 Jan 2013 21:22

The first car I bought, but boyfriend drove it as I had'nt passed my test....was also a mini clubman estate in blue sliding windows and long gear stick. First car I bought for me was a Hillman Imp, loved that little car had it resprayed black to make it look sporty :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 24 Jan 2013 21:24

First car was a 2 litre1938 MG saloon bought in 1957 for £32 at auction.
Walnut and chrome fascia .I lined the roof with red velvet.It had tappets that we had to measure to see if they were so many thous apart.Had a lot of fun and quite a few problems.
Wish I had it now ..would be worth something...but I still have the mascot which we found was a Rolls Royce one...didn't know at time...the Spirit of Ecstasy....which is worth a bit,.We took it off when we found out what it was as the car was left outside.
I found a picture of it on the net.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Jan 2013 21:27

Ford Anglia 1200cc 1963

Bought it in 1972

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2013 21:34

first car we had was a 1935 Morris 8 which cost £35 TG9044

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 24 Jan 2013 21:52

Blue Ford Anglia 1100 1963 bought in 1972 for £85

Happy days driving to Cornwall for camping holidays with the family :-D and everything onboard but the kitchen sink ;-) :-D

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Jan 2013 21:58

Learnt to drive in my mums Fiat 500 -the original model. Painfully slow. Would be worth a fortune now.

My first car was a 1963 Triumph Herald 12/50. Was still at school. Surprising how many friends you had when it was raining at home time.

Andy

McB

McB Report 24 Jan 2013 22:05

Rover P5, the same one that the queen had/has.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Jan 2013 22:11

Learnt to drive in the family Ford Popular. It was the low-line one, three forward gears with no synchromesh between first and second gear. Had to double declutch when changing down.

My first car was a mini-van, cost me fifty pounds. Great car but did have a few problems. Then I traded it in on a clapped out Hillman Imp, also a great little car.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2013 22:14

Our first car was an Austin 7 (Austin Ruby) but I didn't drive then. The first car I drove was a Ford Popular.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jan 2013 22:30

105E Anglia.

After that it was an Austin Cambridge Countryman. It was huge.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 Jan 2013 22:32

we had a tatty old mini van in green
it rattled away round the yorkshire dales for years :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Jan 2013 22:44

I don't drive, but the first 'car' ex & I had was an old Morris van.
Have to admit to driving it off road - then walking back to pick up the bits that had dropped off :-D :-D
It was my wedding car - in matt grey anti-rust paint with white ribbons.

We used to change the gear box one year, the engine the next.

Next car (when we had children) was a slightly newer Morris traveller, which we left with my brother in law in Ireland, as it had decided to leak oil (and the accompanying smoke) in Wales, on a Sunday evening, (no garages open then!!) on our way to Ireland. There was no MOT in Ireland at the time :-D

So, although I couldn't legally drive, I could change the engine, and gearbox, clean the pistons, and start the car without a key :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 24 Jan 2013 22:46

First one I personally drove and owned was a green mini traveller in 1969 - was great - held milk bottle in the door pocket without fear of spilling. When I think now I drove that wearing platform shoes!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 24 Jan 2013 22:50

OMG Maggie - you have me ashamed. I knew where to put the oil in and the water. But as for tyres - no matter how I tried over the years I always ended up with less pressure than I started so I used to go to a garage where I got my petrrol and they would do it.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 24 Jan 2013 22:53

Hubby's first 'car' (well what's his is mine and we were courting at the time ) was a Red mini van, he bought it in 1972 reg 3758 DW just before he passed his test at 18..

The starer button ( ignition) was on the floor as was the dimmer switch for the lights. :((
He used to keep a wooden block under the front seat ,cos it often needed a whack on the underneath side on the drivers side to get it going !

He went upmarket a year later to a Austin 1100 M*O 512E..wow what a luxury.

The rest of the cars were family cars until we became a 2 car family ....I always had the car anyway , but I downgraded to a little Corsa1000 Special edition , N 797 ***,
So I guess that was MY first car which was just mine ! He then drove the family car mostly.

Mine was a brilliant little car went everywhere in the snow, and hubby always used to 'nick' it :-P ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Jan 2013 22:58

Mine was an old Left hand drive Vauxhall Viva estate. Next was my favourite a left hand drive Citroen 2 cv complete with dutch hospital emblems on the doors. I add i was living England but picked them up cheap (for the obvious reason)

Von

Von Report 24 Jan 2013 23:06

Hi
Mine in 1966 was an Austin A35.

My parents had a blue mini clubman estate. I went to my wedding in that :-) :-) :-)

Lynski

Lynski Report 24 Jan 2013 23:07

My first car was a 1967 Toyota Corona bought in 1974 just before I passed my driving test.

A few years later I upgraded to a new 2 door Toyota Corolla. Colour was a dark red with white "speed stripes"!!

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 24 Jan 2013 23:11

I learnt to drive in an ex boyfriends Ford Corsair that had a column change gear change, I loved it and thought I was really chocolate driving it :-D :-D :-D

Same ex got me an Austin A40 as my 1st car :-( :-( :-(

Hence ex :-D :-D :-D