General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Candlemas, Sunday 3 February

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 2 Feb 2013 19:24

Dear All

Hello

Tomorrow Candlemas services will be held in churches, although the actual date of the festival is 2 February.

Candlemas commemorates the ritual purification of Mary, exactly 40 days after she had given birth to her baby Jesus.

This day also marks the ritual presentation of the baby Jesus to God in the Temple at Jerusalem.

At Candlemas, the Church's candles for the year are blessed and some people still choose to place a a couple of lighted candles in their home.

This is the time to look forward to brighter days and new life at spring.

A SMALL PRAYER:

As the rain hides the stars,

as the autumn mist hides the hills,

as the clouds veil the blue of the sky,

so the dark happenings of my lot

hide the shining of your face from me.

yet, if I may hold your hand in the darkness it is enough.

Since I know that, although I may stumble in my going,

you do not fall".

- Gaelic prayer

If you are going to any kind of service tomorrow, travel safely
and may you look forward with hope to the spring-time.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 2 Feb 2013 20:02

Here in Tenerife the people make a pilgrimage, often many miles, to the town of Candaleria to go to the church there and see the black madonna. Then they walk back again. Often this round trip will take all day but the same people go every year.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 2 Feb 2013 20:38

Thank you Elizabeth. I will be in church tomorrow. <3

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 2 Feb 2013 20:41

Loved that Gaelic prayer, Elizabeth. Have a good day tomorrow, wherever you worship :-D :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 2 Feb 2013 21:01

Hi Elizabeth

A lovely, heart warming thread..........and yes, i look forward with hope to spring-time.

Happy Candlemas Day tomorrow.

Prickles. xxx