General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cauliflower

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stan

Stan Report 3 Feb 2013 12:32

The One Show,did anyone about cauliflowers on this did he just wrap pastry round the cauli then bake in the oven , fancy trying this

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Feb 2013 12:38

Didn't see it. Might try it though.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2013 12:52

We watched it - OH with the most interest! He can't recall if anything was 'done' with it before it was cooked.

There is a recipe here you might be able to adapt - it would seem that the cauli has to be par-boiled first.

http://www.thelovebite.com/recipes/side_kicks/cauliflower_rarebit_en_croute/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2013 12:57

An American version

http://eatnvegn.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/our-vegan-thanksgiving-2008.html

So to begin, trim the cauliflower, removing as much of the stem as possible, but remembering to leave it intact and whole. Blanch it for a couple of minutes. I used my biggest soup pot and had to blanch it on the bottom first and then flip it over and blanch the top. Let it dry completely. This can be done far in advance. Get one sheet of puff pastry and thaw it. Roll it out just a bit and remove one-third to be placed on top of the cauliflower. Stuff the cauliflower as best you can. Anything that won’t go in can go on top. Put some parchment paper on a baking sheet, and place the big piece of pastry on the paper. Place the cauliflower bottom side down onto the pastry. Put any extra stuffing on top, then pull the corners of the pastry up on top of the cauliflower. Put the extra strip on the top to fill in any gaps. I saved a small piece to make a cutout leaf for the top of mine.

Bake it at 400 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Take it out and place it on a carving board.

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Feb 2013 13:05

What do you stuff it with?

Stan

Stan Report 3 Feb 2013 13:08

Thanks Det

That rarebit one sounds yummy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2013 13:11

The US recipe used nuts and/or cranberries, the first one used cheese and leeks. Both seem to suggest that you need something else with it to enhance the flavour/add moisture.

If Stan can remember which day the programme was on, you can still view the last three episodes on iPlayer

Wed 30 Jan
Thurs 31 Jan
Fri 1 Feb.

Stan

Stan Report 3 Feb 2013 13:14

can't remember ,they also cut the leaves off and fried them in batter

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2013 13:14

Let us know how it turns out Stan, and I might give in to OH.

Cauliflower cheese with all the associated bulking veg can get to be rather a hassle! We aren't vegetarians, but he does love his cauli as a many dish :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Feb 2013 13:20

I was thinking you could maybe line a tin or pot with the pastry,stand in the cauli and pour in some thick cheese sauce before you put the lid on.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 3 Feb 2013 14:01

Sounds yummy, I have just looked at another American version where they did whole Cauliflower Baked in Puff Pastry with Curry Sauce Gravy, thats abit different.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Feb 2013 15:46

Ooooooooooooooo I love cauli in any shape or form. I will have to try some of these ideas. :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Feb 2013 18:06

I like cauliflower raw with a cold spicy dip

Roy,

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 3 Feb 2013 19:17

Porkie.........am i nuts?

Actually, don't answer that!! :-D

But i thought you had left us?

:-S

Wend

Wend Report 3 Feb 2013 19:24

Actooly, you're right Prickles - I'd forgotten that. He left a few weeks ago, diddle he? ;-)

Ha, ha, he can't keep away, canee :-D

Island

Island Report 3 Feb 2013 19:27

I'm glad Porkie's still here. :-)

I like my cauli a tad al dente too :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 3 Feb 2013 19:27

All that grieving for nuffink Wend!!

:-( :-D

Wend

Wend Report 3 Feb 2013 19:32

*Sobs* - I know, Prickles - the stress of it all :-(