General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

House burned down

Page 0 + 1 of 2

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 3 Feb 2013 20:20

My grandaughters home went up in flames today. Fortunately they were out but they lost the hamster and the dog was given oxygen by the firemen, he seems to be ok. They have lost everything, all kiddies toys, clothes photos all their own clothes. Thank God it happened during the day and they were out. :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Feb 2013 20:22

So pleased they were out Elaine do they know what caused it. How sad for them.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 3 Feb 2013 20:23

Oh what a shame, they must be devastated.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Feb 2013 20:23

how dreadful - to lose everything - so sad

as you say, thank goodness they were not at home

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Feb 2013 20:32

That must be everyones nightmare. ,but pleased for you that everyone is safe and they have family to take care of them.

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 3 Feb 2013 20:35

Thinking of yu all x

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 3 Feb 2013 20:35

Adele was so shocked, it happened about 2 this afternoon. She is 21 in July and they are getting married same month. All her wedding things were in the house, even bridesmaids dresses. Fortunately her dress is still at the shop in case it needs altering. Her brother has a flat five minutes walk away from the house and has moved back into his mums so that they can stay in his flat. Have not heard from them since she called me so I am giving them a little space as things will be hectic. The baby has no clothes nappies etc so they will have to improvise until the shops open.

Linda

Linda Report 3 Feb 2013 21:02

So sorry to hear your news that god they were out, hope the get sorted soon

Von

Von Report 3 Feb 2013 21:12

So sorry to hear this.
Take care
Von

Mersey

Mersey Report 3 Feb 2013 21:24

How awful, it must be so devastating for them as others have said thank goodness they were not there when it happened.......hope they get sorted soon

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 3 Feb 2013 21:32

So sorry to hear this.
What a dreadful shock,but also a blessing in disguise as they were out.
Just before Christmas my grandson ,living on his own,in his own flat..which he bought from my mother when she moved into a home 10 years ago and had really got it so modern and updated..well,he had a chip pan fire as he fell asleep after working a long day.
He was in the flat and sooo lucky.ll his units ,walls tiling double glazing etc are gone.The fire station is across the road,so that was fortunate..also he is insured thank goodness.
He is living at his brothers as it will be another few months yet and the bill for the insurance ...at least £40.000.
Having said that...we still have our grandchildren ....it's very sad,but material things can be replaced.
Thinking of you all.Brenda x

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 Feb 2013 21:43

I'm really sorry to hear this - can't begin to imagine how you are all feeling. Thank goodness no-one was home.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 4 Feb 2013 01:02

So very to hear this F D:((( must be devastating for them

Thank goodness no one was injured.

Thinking of you all,Sandie.x

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 4 Feb 2013 01:08

Elaine so sorry this has happened to your granddaughter, thankfully they were not at home but the distress a fire causes is awful.

I lost my home to a fire in 1980, saved the cat & dog but lost all my fish tropical & cold water, walked around in slippers and same clothes for the first days buying bedding and clothes for the children,getting strange looks from assistants in shops.
Luckily we were given a temporary housing association flat so were not homeless.
If you are close by could you perhaps make up a bundle of essentials, It wasn't until I had a bath that I realised I had no towels!!
A work colleague made me a parcel of tea towels, towels,and other bits and pieces which was the nicest thing and I will be forever grateful to her.

A very trying time for you all but at least they are all safe.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Feb 2013 07:30

This is a terrible thing to have happened to your granddaughter, thank goodness it happened when they were out.

A house fire is a terrifying thing, I am 69 now but can still vividly remember in 1954 the house opposite ours being burned to the ground, sadly that family were in the house and could not get out :-(

I hope she gets everything sorted out and best wishes to her on her forthcoming wedding.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Feb 2013 10:26

Elaine......this is dreadful, l am so sorry. Fortunately for all her brother & mother live nearby. l do hope she can sort out new bridesmaids dresses etc asap.
Poor girl:((

jude x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Feb 2013 10:34

How awful for them, but the main thing is that they are safe and that they still have the wedding to look forward to.

'Things' can be replaced, but lives can't. Insurance companies are pretty good when it comes to disasters such as this. Someone we knew had a house fire just after Christmas - the council found them somewhere for the night, then the Insurance co paid for a hotel before renting a house until their home was rebuilt - something like 8 months later.

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 4 Feb 2013 21:00

Well the update is that we have a wonderful community here. Offers of things from tele's to suites to a garage to put donations in until they are housed. An event for raising funds is on for the 16th Feb run by one of the community, parcels of nappies for the baby, money for a new school uniform for the 5 year old. Arn't people wonderful in a crisis :-D

GinN

GinN Report 4 Feb 2013 21:07

What a dread ful thing to happen, I can't begin to imagine what it must feel like to lose everything like that.
Yes, people are wonderful in a crisis, and you really find out how many caring friends you have! :-)

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 4 Feb 2013 21:09

So very sorry to read about the fire, Elaine. How shocking for everyone. But how wonderful that people are rallying round and helping. BC XX