General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Manifesto for Atheists

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Feb 2013 09:13

This came up on my FB newsfeed this morning.

BBC World News : Impact radio programme.

Is it enough to lead a good life or do we still need religion?

The 10 virtues.

1. Resilience

2. Empathy

3. Patience

4. Sacrifice

5. Politeness

6. Humour

7. Self-awareness

8. Forgiveness

9. Hope

10. Confidence.

I took the liberty of checking the OED for definition of the words.

Resilience: The ability of a substance or object to spring back into shape.

Empathy: The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Patience: The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.

Sacrifice: An act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy.

Politeness: Having or showing behaviour that is respectful and considerate of other people.

Humour: The quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.

Self-Awareness: Conscious knowledge of one’s own character, feelings, motives, and desires: the process can be painful but it leads to greater self-awareness.

Forgiveness: The action or process of forgiving or being forgiven.

Hope: A feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen.

Confidence: The feeling or belief that one can have faith in or rely on someone or something.

:-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Feb 2013 09:18

lovely virtues - every one

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 7 Feb 2013 09:23

Cynthia :-D :-D

I also look at the behavior that occurred in the Old Testament when people deserted God. What happened in Gomorrah allegedly. What was happening In Athens and Corinth and Rome in first century. Is that behaviour much worse than what is happening around us today :-( :-(

And in my lifetime we have received clear warning after clear warning not to desert the basics of a stable and happy society. There are none so blind as cannot see. We learn nothing from our study of history :-(

Jeremiah of Pontypandy

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 7 Feb 2013 09:23

Fine principles to live by.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 7 Feb 2013 09:38

The list was put together by Alain de Botton (philosopher/writer)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Feb 2013 12:08

It was indeed Errol.....here is the link to the relevant article..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9847637/Alain-de-Bottons-10-commandments-for-atheists-could-be-a-civilising-influence.html

All the above are admirable traits I agree. However, I think the original 10 Commandments aren't bad ideals to live by either.....:-D

The 10 Commandments - briefly.

Put God first

Worship God only

Use God's name with respect

Remember God's sabbath

Respect your parents

Do not hurt other people

Be faithful in marriage

Do not steal

Do not lie

Do not be envious of others

In the New Testament, the 10 Commandments are summed up by Jesus in words which are used in the church every week....

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And the second is this: You shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Cx. ;-)

Eeyore13

Eeyore13 Report 7 Feb 2013 12:16

If you don't like it John...Sodom

:-D