General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An idle question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2013 15:41

On a not very important subject. We were having coffee in a restaurant this mowning, quite a large place. I noticed that as people came in they all hunted for a seat at a table round the outside of the restaurant, only when all those tables were taken did people sit at the tables in the centre of the room.

Do you have a favourite position to sit when out for coffee, or are you not bothered? :-D

told you it wasn't important but I don't think anyone can fall out over it either.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 9 Feb 2013 15:43

Hadn't thought of it before..but I think I prefer to sit in the furthest corner away from the counter to cut down the chances of anyone bashing me with a buggy or a big bag !!!! :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 9 Feb 2013 15:44

Ann I love a seat at a window, nice to watch the world go by. :-D

Emma :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 9 Feb 2013 15:44

I like my back to a wall :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 9 Feb 2013 15:49

Supercrutch, :-D you certainly have a brill sense of humour.PMSL :-D :-D

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 9 Feb 2013 15:53

Back to a wall and view of the entrance :-D
I'm the one next to Sue !!!!!! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2013 15:55

Yes, I always make for a wall seat, especially where there is somewhere I can put my bag away from where it might get snatched. had a friend once whose bag was taken while in a cafe and she didn't notice until she got up to leave so am a bit paranoid.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 9 Feb 2013 15:56

It could be just as supercrutch said, instinctual protecting of our backs.

In our local town it means that you can trap your bags between the wall & your foot to stop any lowlife from stealing them

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Feb 2013 15:58

I like a wall seat as well but more important is a seat anywhere away from the entrance door to the kitchen or the toilets.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 9 Feb 2013 16:01

It's so my crutch doesn't take anybody unawares.

Truthfully I am usually outside doing my social pariah impression :-D

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 9 Feb 2013 16:06

I also like to sit at the window and watch the world go by
watching people park their cars sometimes is hilarious.
OH and me were having a coffee just the other day in town and this gentleman was trying to park his car ( we have parking bays )
he was reversing into a space , then went forward then back , in the end he just left the car with the front end sticking way out in the road
I forgot to say that the space was just big enough for a mini , he had a jaguar lol
Hazelx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Feb 2013 16:29

I think it was Desmond Morris who wrote a book called "People Watching" and very interesting it was too. The reason why people take up positions around the perimeter of a room is a primeval instinct - you will notice that on entering a restaurant most people will sit at the far side of the room, backs to the wall facing the exit/entrance - this is because they are subconciously watching out for enemies to attack

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2013 16:47

I meant to say the restaurant we were in is upstairs with no windows to look out.
Yes I suppose it is a backs to the wall approach. hate these places where when four of you sit down, two are facing a blank wall, always an indecent haste to be first seated facing outwards :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Feb 2013 17:03

you should read that book you know - you'd love it - there is a picture of an empty beach taken from the air and you can see how gradually it fills up during the day but still all the groups on there have their own patch - something you cannot see at ground level - it's fascinating. I borrowed it from the library as it is rather a large book - just remembered - think it's called Man Watching not People Watching

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2013 17:57

Will keep an eye open for it.

Yes beaches and how people set out their territory. Always taking more space than they need so that they are not close to the next people.