General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Love it or

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 13 Feb 2013 15:49

hate it.........................

.....Angel of the North is fifteen years old today....and it don't seem a day too long :-)

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 13 Feb 2013 15:57

I have never seen it in reality, Mau, but I like the look of it. :-) <3

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 13 Feb 2013 16:05

You'll have to get up close and personal then BC when you come for the visit :-D....years ago when it was first put up local wags put an Alan Shearer no 9 shirt on it :-D :-D

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 13 Feb 2013 16:15

:-D...but he's looking good isnt he. Alan I mean <3 Have ticked it as another sight to see when I go and visit you, Mau :-) <3

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 13 Feb 2013 16:21

I have only seen it on t.v and newspapers, but I love what I see.

Don't know if I would change my mind if I was able to get up close to it and see it "in the flesh".

Muc, much, much better and inspiring than Birminghams "Iron Man" which seems to me to be all about death and decay.

Tess

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 13 Feb 2013 16:23

I was a bit shocked when I first saw it Mau, but have got used to it now.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 13 Feb 2013 16:34

I liked the idea from the very beginning - when the plans were first put forward in the Journal (Newcastle press) - my daughter and I had a look at the site when driving down to Sunderland on the bypass, were enthusiastic about the whole idea, and we've never changed our minds!

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 13 Feb 2013 16:36

Not seen 'Iron Man' Tess...will Google him :-)

Yes I didn't like it much at first Susan but think the Angel has 'grown on most of us', now I think it looks so iconic and love seeing it when coming home from trips away.

Though it doesn't give me as big a thrill as coming across the Tyne Bridge into Newcastle :-D :-D

Definitely a sight for you to see BC <3

edited ;-)

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 13 Feb 2013 16:42

You must have 'good eye' for imagery Elizabeth as Angel does look good.
I do like Antony Gormley's work,saw an exhibition of his sculptors at the Baltic some time ago.

.......and I love your Avatar ahhh :-D

edit: Tess..I have found IronMan...he is getting very rusty isn't he and with no feet? and looks to be in the wrong place imho
Looked at old statue of Queen Victoria nearby....no comparison I feel :-(

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 13 Feb 2013 18:53

its not pretty is it? but its iconic,

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 13 Feb 2013 19:05

As I live in the region I visited the Angel when it was first erected and I kissed its toes. They said if you kiss its toes and make a wish it will come true. Well I'm still waiting to win the lottery. I have passed it many times on my way to Durham City.

PS - It tasted of rusty metal.

GP

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 13 Feb 2013 19:43

It is our landmark for coming back from the south isn't it - The Angel on the A.1, even better than the Penshaw monument on the A.19!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 Feb 2013 19:52

I love the Angel,,,,,,,it welcomes all, my dad died before it went up but I know he would have refered to it as -"""the angel ooop home"""".hed have loved it, just like he did his gordie home....

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 13 Feb 2013 20:10

Elizabeth - When I cross the King Edward bridge on a train when returning from a holiday and I see the Tyne bridge then I know I'm home.

GP