General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Being called a partner

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Feb 2013 17:06

In answer to the OP. I don't really mind being called partner, I see myself as a wife and partner. But usually my husband (usually referred to as my oH (other half) on here usually introduces me as 'my wife Ann'. But husband and wife is preferable.

Rings: I have just counted and I am wearing 7 at the moment. My wedding ring which was only off my finger for a week when it became too tight and I had it made larger, my eternity ring which I had for our ruby wedding. (I had a previous one but it snapped and couldn't be mended.), my replacement engagement ring as my original is so thin it looks as though it might break. My mother's wedding ring which I wear on my middle finger of my left hand. On my right hand a dress ring bought second hand because I liked it on a wedding anniversary, a love knot ring bought for me in Guernset at Guernsey gold in the 80s and a saphire ring given to me by my husband on our saphire wedding anniversary. I have just come back from a weekend away, I don't always wear them all the time, except for my wedding ring, my mum's ring and the love knot ring, all fairly plain. Tend not to take them on holiday but lock them in the safe.

Names, well like the other two mine can't be shortened. Husband used to sometimes call me Angie for some reason, hasn't for ages now. Actually thinking about it he rarely uses my name unless introducing me, calls me dear, love, darling, Nana (when talking to Grandchildren) and Mum (when talking to children). Sometimes used to get called Annie at work.
All four of the Grandsons names are shortened, granddaughters sometimes. I never shorten son's name but his friends do, and I often shorten daughter's name. :-)

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 18 Feb 2013 16:24

That's a good idea Sylvia to have a 'code name only the parents know ,especially when there were the problems of child abductions rife.

I used to call both of my children by two of their initials when they were youngsters ( sounded like a real name as you say) , when we were out shopping or hols even, but it never stuck into adulthood.

Back to names briefly ...as Kay has being quoted ...
My only remaining maternal aunt was / is called Kay by her late husband and his side of family , her real name is Welsh and her /our side of the family refer to her by ,it either in full or abbreviated ( and no it doesn't begin with a K as there is no K in the Welsh alphabet ) :-)

Sandie.x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2013 04:03

When my daughter was small, I developed the habit of using just her initial when we were out in public and I needed to call her.

The initial often sounds like a short name ............... D = Dee, J = Jay, K = Kay, etc

It began because we had had some horrible child abductions in the province/country, and then we had a serial child killer here to add to it .................

.............. she knew that the only person she should respond to, let alone go to or with, when that version of her name was called was myself or OH.

Schools over here often have a special item of clothing to wear during the last year at high school (age 17/18) ...... her year picked a certain type of jacket, and the forename was to be on the sleeve.

She decided to use only her initial .................... otherwise anyone could see the name and call the girl.

Now .................. her husband calls her by that initial, and has done almost since the time he met her in 1997.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 17 Feb 2013 19:46

I abbreviate my children's names when calling them them, Grandchildren's names are abbreviated, except the one who has the shortest name, and I add to it, no idea why. I think more people I know abbreviate names, I don't think it's laziness, but I have no idea why we do it :-)

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 17 Feb 2013 17:49

As Anne said people with more than one name and are called by their 2nd 3rd or however many they have it can cause a problem for them especially at hospitals.

Dad was D.E John, but known as Jack , Mum was Mary L.E but known as her middle name L (abbreviated to most ;-))

I found a 2nd cousin on GR by putting my mother's name up in my tree by her real known name not her full name.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2013 17:44

It always used to be said that one never took off one's wedding ring after it was put on your finger.

I think the whole saying ended with something like "or break your marriage asunder"

I still subscribe to that, even though I'm not religious.

My wedding ring has not been off my finger for longer than a few minutes only 3 times in the last 45 years ....................

........ when my fingers swelled during pregnancy, and the doctor suggested it might be a good idea

....... when I once got an allergic reaction to a new washing up liquid under my ring, and it took a few days to clear

.......... when I put on weight, and it had to go to the jeweller to be enlarged.

It doesn't feel heavy, I'm perfectly used to it.

I do take off my engagement ring ................... when I go to bed.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 17 Feb 2013 17:30

I did say some don't for obvious reason's get shortened , Jean doesn't.

But I know people named Ann that are called Annie,by friends and family :-)

Also an ex work colleague called Ian very friendly to everyone...was the office messenger was known as E :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 Feb 2013 17:04

I was about to as the same question as Annx

As one of 5 children, I was the only one not to be given a middle name.

The only name I was given is Anne, yet within the family setting, my mum called me by a pet name ..... she always referred to me as... FRANCES???
I have never known why, and she never it used outside the family home.
I asked her once and she said that as far as she was concerned, I looked more like a Frances than an Anne.
Yes! She was Irish L.O.L
Edit
Just remembered about my friend who is one of 3 sisters.
All of them were registered and baptised with the name Mary + another name.
1st and 3rd are known by their middle name but the only 2nd one is known as Mary.

My friend laughs that the naming thing caused chaos at School, as well as Doctors, Dentists ect!

Annx

Annx Report 17 Feb 2013 16:37

So how would I abbreviate mine then? :-S

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 17 Feb 2013 15:48

Hey~~ this thread could go on for ever without really going off topic,
Hayley mentioned that she didn't like her name being abbreviated.
Our family (my maternal side) tend to abbreviate names as a sort of endearment ,not for laziness.
We are quite a few cousins, the one's closer to each other shorten their names when speaking to or about each other.
I didn't choose my name ,nor did my parents.. my sister did apparently...mostly only school teachers ,or people that don't know me well use or used it.
I think it also depends on the name ; My cousin Jean doesn't get shortened ;
My dau name only get's shortened by my son : It's a pretty name,difficult to shorten without it sounding odd or a nickname.....he gets away with it as it doesn't offend her.( No on else calls to her by it ,son says it to me when he refers to her )
Dau calls son by his full name as do the rest of the family ,tho he abbreviates it himself and so do his friends, they did so at a younger age, dau never did !

I know it more common these day to use Jez and Gaz, but my cousin Hazel who is 80 in Sept ( she's old enough to be my mother ) has always been called Haze.

If Lynda doesn't mind me asking on her thread ...?
Do you like your name being abbreviated ?

Sandie.

David

David Report 17 Feb 2013 10:52

No Princess,

Mistress wife of master

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 17 Feb 2013 10:32

We are married, I am his wife and he is my husband. We committed ourselves to each other in marriage 40 years ago, because we wanted to & are proud to say that we want to spend the rest of our lives as a couple, sharing all. I am proud to talk about/introduce him as my husband & he always talks about / introduces me as his wife.

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 17 Feb 2013 10:25

My wedding ring isnt heavy Lynda it isnt expensive so I wear it all the time never take it off, my engagment is only removed when I have too. :-D

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 17 Feb 2013 10:18

wouldnt that be Miss David?

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 17 Feb 2013 10:18

There was me just thinking I was the only one who felt odd at being called a partner, and there's loads of us :-D

Not only that but I thought I was the only one who felt my wedding ring was too heavy, and have to take jewellery off as I walk through the door, and I'm not there's a few of us :-D

Now Hayley has mentioned names, and I can relate to that too, I must be more normal than I thought :-D

David

David Report 17 Feb 2013 10:11

Is Mrs an abbreviation of mistress?

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 17 Feb 2013 10:03

Life partner or partner sounds terribly PC to me, I am his life partner and he mine but I refer to him as my OH or husband, I don't mind Mrs ****** because I am Mrs **** not Ms. I feel naked without my wedding ring. I don't like him referring to me as she and her I think its rude and common he swears he doesnt but he does at times as I have heard him, my name is Hayley and I dont even like it be shortened I am not Hay or Hayles or Haze Its Hayley. Another thing is I dont like being called Ayley or Aerley just say it HAYLEY.. :-|

sorry Lynda went on abit there ..lololol :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2013 07:01

"Partner" is used so commonly here that it doesn't bother me ........

...... in introducing OH to someone at a party or reception, I usually say something like, "oh, here is xxxx, my husband, OR my better half" ............. and he does the same to me!

we've been married over 45 years ................. and there probably is body language that says that ........ except we operate somewhat independently at parties and "do's" ........ I talk to who I want to talk to, without moving very far, whereas he wanders all over the room, occasionally coming back to check that I am still alright.

But, as I say, it doesn't worry me if someone says "is that your partner?"

I do hate to be called Ms ..................... always have, ever since it became common here in the late 60s/early 70s.

It always seemed to me here in North America that it was the unmarried (never married) ladies who wanted to hide the fact that they were not married who used Ms ................. because they usually went to Mrs if they did marry!

You almost never found a married woman using Ms back in those feminist days!

so even though Ms was supposed to be the feminist term that did not change with marriage, and equivalent to Mr .................. it really wasn't!

It just became a third title for a woman .......

........ Miss for a young woman,

........ Mrs for a married woman, and

......... Ms for a single woman over about 25 ............. or for others to use if they were uncertain of her status!

sylvia

Sheila

Sheila Report 16 Feb 2013 15:46

You are pronounced Husband and Wife at the end of the marriage ceremony which is how I like it to be.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 16 Feb 2013 15:12

I refer to my husband as my OH on here ...but that' s just because I'm too lazy to type it in full lol.

Outside of the WWW i always refer to him as my husband...and to the best of my knowledge I'm his wife..or he uses my name....I'd shoot him if I heard him say *er indoors* etc lol.