General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Housing benefit the dream of Ian Duncan Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Feb 2013 13:09

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282764/Hong-Kongs-human-battery-hens-Claustrophobic-images-slum-families-squeeze-lives-tiniest-apartments.html

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Feb 2013 13:33

I saw that earlier Rollo :-(

I watched the poor couple on news last night, he was ill and they could not share a bedroom because of that, yet seemed that they would have to pay extra for the 'spare' room his wife slept in.

I know that IDS has told the councils to take these cases into account, but the strain on people who do NOT need any more stress while they wait for decisions is going to be awful.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Feb 2013 13:16

You should follow the link it is not about anybody in the UK (yet).

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Feb 2013 13:24

Sorry Rollo, I didn't intend to imply that the couple on the news and the article in the Mail were one and the same story,

not that bad here, as you say "yet" !

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 23 Feb 2013 13:50

Rollo In this country the benefits system intend bringing in a spare room tax or reduce your housing benefit if you have a spare room .....BUT often people with spare rooms are tennents whom due to their agreements cant sub rent the are room!!! leaving many people like the case RR has pointed out in a right mess!!!

I dont get housing benefit but I do have a spare room for 8months of the year!!! would it affect cases like myself??
http://www.lqgroup.org.uk/services-for-residents/your-home/rent/changes-to-housing-benefit--what-you-need-to-know/

What I would like to know is this check list almost says children over 16 of the same age should have their own room ....what happens if the councils and housing ass. cant met these needs?

And China is in an awdul mess where housing is concerned ...beyond anything us brits will ever understand or experiance!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 23 Feb 2013 14:24

Sadly this is found in most major cities to a lesser degree (unless the residents are homeless).

With the price of land only huge developers can afford to purchase and build property and the end cost plus profit means only the wealthy can afford to buy a small one bed apartment.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Feb 2013 18:18

Most councils around the country have a good stock of 2 bedroom houses and flats - but these days what is needed more are 1 bedroom for single people and older couples and 3 or more bedroom flats/houses for families.

And very few councils are building new homes, and in thepast far too quick to sell their stock off.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 23 Feb 2013 18:23

We live in an area where we know for sure most old peoples or starter places are two bedroomed ........so its almost inpossible to give a one bed place to a single or elderly couple ! so if they cant provide the correct house for size of family how can they take from them?

Lists will increase for one bed places or your elderly rellies will pay from their pensions the deducted amount leaving them poorer!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2013 16:51

People over 61 receiving housing benefit are not affected by the "bedroom tax"

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 26 Feb 2013 20:25

Come October and the introduction of the new Universal Credit people over 61 will be affected by the bedroom tax if their partner is younger than they are .

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2013 20:37

Not exactly ; where one of a couple is already exempt then the exemption from the "bedroom tax" will continue after October 2013 even if one of the couple is younger, say 50.

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 26 Feb 2013 20:53

http://www.housing.org.uk/policy/welfare_reform/bedroom_tax.aspx

It seems that we are both sort of half right ( I think Rollo ) ,

From what I can gather from the above link , if a person is recieving pension credit before April 2013 and their partner is younger they should be alright come October 2013 ....... I'm sure that is not what they where saying a week or so ago ???? It's all very confussing and " they " are moving the goal posts quicker than spiteful kids playing a game .....grrrr

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 26 Feb 2013 21:08

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/government-backtracks-on-pensioner-bedroom-tax/6525843.article

Just so you can all see that I'm not becoming confussed in my old age :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2013 21:18

Yeah, well I have good contacts on the inside so I just rang up ... ez.

It is rapidly dawning on a lot of Tory MPs that (a) they have a marginal seats and (b) elections are looming. As Osbourne's Grand Design is rather more likely to deliver a nasty letter from the lender rather than hoped for tax cuts said back benchers are getting restless Carruthers. Can you hear the drums beating out in Basildon and Ware ?

It is all very well targetting the Royal sofa but not Tory voters of a certain age ... hence the partial U-turn.

There may be more, especially after the Eastleigh by election.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 27 Feb 2013 11:07

So what you both mean is ..................

its do hard to understand no one will really know till it happens! :-D