General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cold calls, has anyone been getting cold calls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Mar 2013 14:55

from a 'boiler insurance' co ' H***plan Utilities' based in Surrey ?

Just doing a bit of checking for an elderly friend who seems to have got into problems. She has a boiler insurance contract with another firm, but is receiving calls and letters from the above insisting she owes them money...the dubious thing is that on this latest letter they have included the ref number she has with the 'genuine' firm.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 1 Mar 2013 15:16

Just had a peek at their site Rose. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
They seem to have run under 3 different names look very dodgy to me.
Your friend might be connected via one of their other alias`s

https://www.duedil.com/company/07550625/homeplan-boiler-plan-limited

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Mar 2013 15:23

Thanks for that ET, I was thinking along those lines, I'll call friend back to check who she is with, either way I think she is paying a lot!

She was upset by the phonecall they made the other day, basically trying to scare her into giving bank details over the phone by saying the boiler could explode unless she pays up. :-0

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 1 Mar 2013 15:30

What terrible unethical tactics some of these firms get up to.
There`s got to be a law somewhere to prohibit this sort of thing .

Trouble is phone calls dont leave much evidence, unless they`re taped, more`s the pity.

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Mar 2013 17:34

I've been doing a bit of digging, seems like the company my friend is signed with IS the same company, operating under a 'new' name, who is now harrassing her. She's paying much more than a like for like policy would be with some companies. Even paying the same amount she could get covered not just for the boiler and central eating, but also electrics and plumbing!

Will be trying to sort out something for her, but she is so intimidated by the phone calls she is scared to do anything.

I'd like to give a gentle reminder to anyone who has such a policy to check what they are paying and what is covered, and whether they are in fact being ripped off!

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 3 Mar 2013 17:50

Sounds like that company wants investigating Rose.
What with more that one change of company name, it sounds like they well may have been, at some previous time.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Mar 2013 18:03

Trading Standards should be keen to follow them up.

Just paid £50 for my annual boiler maintenance.

Gee

Gee Report 3 Mar 2013 18:03

Sounds a bit 'iffy' to me

Your friend can register here for free and she should get no more cold calls

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Also, it might be worth calling the company that she has the boiler cover with and tell them what is happening?

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Mar 2013 18:25

£50 seems like quite a lot for annual boiler maintenance. Yet I note BG keeps wanting to do it for about £10 a month. Admittedly, that covers more than one call-out.

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 3 Mar 2013 19:11

Dont give my number out to anyone as its a shared number i only answer the phone if caller display says who. This week someone left me a message i didnt give the number to them so would like to know how they got it!