General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Utter scum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Mar 2013 13:41

Please take a look at this link below and keep it in mind when you see any medals for sale.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/9902646/Thieves-steal-entire-medal-collection-of-Gurkha-family-who-served-British-Army.html

Roy

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 2 Mar 2013 14:42

As you say Roy utter scum...I hope anyone wishing to buy these medals recognises their provenance the thieves are caught and more importantly the medals are returned to the family

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Mar 2013 14:51

No other name for them, scum of the earth.

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 2 Mar 2013 15:30

Thats really sad..I expect they have been broken up and sold seperately...

Jules x

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Mar 2013 15:55

I hope he gets them back, there must be some people who collect who wlll know these were obtained by theft.

Makes me despair AGAIN.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Mar 2013 05:57

Heartbreaking for the family, there are such lowlife about these days who have no respect or thought for anyone but themselves. Hope the medals are found soon and that karma happens to the thieves

Lizx

Island

Island Report 3 Mar 2013 10:55

Heart breaking.

This theft was in the same town where scum stole a life size bronze statue of a soldier commemerating the Boer war. It had stood in the town for c100 years.

Disgraceful is nowhere near a strong enough word.

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 3 Mar 2013 11:36

Anyone who buys these medals without informing the police, will be committing a crime.

Most UK military medals are stamped with the recipients Service Number, Rank, Name and Unit, though the Number is sometimes omitted.

Medals such as those awarded by NATO, the UN, and British Empire crosses (MBE, OBE etc.,) and 'Jubilee type' unfortunately,do not.

Not sure with some of the older ones in the collection shown, but there will be some with these identifying markings.

Island

Island Report 3 Mar 2013 14:15

I don't think they will go to a buyer Mr Daff, more likely they are melted down as there is a high demand for metals by a certain country.
Some will pinch your fillings if you do a big yawn :-|