General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IT Help Please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Gins Report 3 Mar 2013 17:38

Do any of you know if I can buy a desktop base unit with WiFi?

I have WiFi on all the other hardware in the house but the desktop in the office is connected to the internet through a TP Link, which is proving unrealiable.

I've done the obvious and Googled but getting nowhere really


♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 3 Mar 2013 17:43

wireless card or dongle

you need Errol :-D


jax Report 3 Mar 2013 17:47

HID has a dongle on his...desktop is about 6 years old


Gins Report 3 Mar 2013 17:55

Yeah, I also have a USB connection to the router but that is not too good either.

When you say a Dongle, do mean the type that you pay as you go for internet access?

I have these

The last one worked OK for about 9 months and then broke, took the adapter back, they gave me a new one and now the other adapter has broken


StrayKitten Report 3 Mar 2013 18:02

you can get a dongle that you plug in your USB port that transmits your wifi to your desktop,

like this......

saves you buying a new desktop :-D


StrayKitten Report 3 Mar 2013 18:03

sorry just looked at your links n seems you have one already, so you can just use that,


Gins Report 3 Mar 2013 18:07

Thanks Stray, its just not very reliable


eRRolSheep Report 3 Mar 2013 18:19

You can buy a desktop with wifi built in.
However, if everything else is working fine, then you just need a dongle. It is not something you need to pay for to gain access each month, it simply connects to your wireless router modem.
They don't cost very much to purchase.


Gins Report 3 Mar 2013 18:27

Thanks Errol

I have the TP USB and TP Plug connection, it's just not that good :-(

Do Dell do a WiFi desk top, I couldnt see one on their site?


eRRolSheep Report 3 Mar 2013 18:36

Yes they do. Take a look at the Inspiron range and look at the technical specifications and it will tell you there.


Gins Report 3 Mar 2013 18:57



eRRolSheep Report 3 Mar 2013 19:40

Glad to be of help - just shout if you need any more information


RolloTheRed Report 3 Mar 2013 20:12

What you need is a PCI Wifi card that fits inside the computer. These cost from £ 10-25. The best ones comes from LInkSys who also have good tech support.

Fitting one involves
(1) open case
(2) install card into spare pci slot ; this may involve removing a blanking plate
(3) secure card with small screw
(4) close case, restart
(5) install drivers if neccessary

and that's it.

These cards are much faster and more reliable than usb dongles.
Try and make sure though that the antenna - which is on the card - is not blocked from the router by the computer case or anything big and metallic eg cooker, fridge freezer, microwave.


eRRolSheep Report 3 Mar 2013 20:18

They are very good Rollo but many PC users on this site may not feel confident in opening up a computer and poking around in the innards.

If opening up the case ALWAYS make sure you earth yourself first!!!!
Also, be careful what you prod and poke.


Gins Report 3 Mar 2013 21:50

Thanks Rollo but the only thing I use a screw for is a cork!

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 4 Mar 2013 10:00

One thing worth trying before you spend anything.

Your internet supplier... signal to your USB connection via the router


InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Mar 2013 10:58

What exactly do you mean when you say connected via a TP Link? TP Link is the name of a manufacturer not a connection method. What sort of router have you got? The problem might be with that, rather than your PC.

I have TP link cards installed in two of my desktop pc's and they work without any problems. They connect to a Netgear Router using Wi-fi. as does my wife's laptop.


Gins Report 4 Mar 2013 11:45


My router is Netgear and I dont have a problem with that as the IPads, Netbook and laptop work fine with the wireless signal

I put a link on an earlier post to let everyone see what connection methods I am using

One of the TP 'plugs' broke a couple of weeks ago and was replaced, worked fine for a couple of hours and then the connection went down. It looks like the other TP Link 'plug' into my router has now broken!


The connection to the other hardware is fine so I dont think it's my ISP

Thanks for trying help though, much appreciated



Gins Report 4 Mar 2013 17:36

Just to let you kind people know.............

I went back to the shop where I bought my TP Link Power Line from, told him the problem and he wasn’t happy with sending me away with just another replacement

He sent one of his lads up to my house to sort it, free of charge. Turns out the first replacement was not compatible to the original one attached to the router

He was here about 15mins....all sorted

Now that’s what I call a service by The Real Computer Shop, Ecclesall Road, Sheffield don’t get that when you buy online!


eRRolSheep Report 4 Mar 2013 17:40

Glad you have been able to get it sorted out painlessly and without cost!