General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Its always the same!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 4 Mar 2013 10:26

.............................................................................................................................

Every year around this time, I notice the adverts on the TV for Mothering Sunday, and watch my children's panic when they then ask " what date is that?" I then know what is about to happen, they will question me, " What do you want for mothers day?" I normally reply " Oh dont be spending your money on me Im your Mother every day of the year" then normal regret what I have said as I sound ungretful or thats what I used to think when my own mother said the exact same thing. Next step is they will ask Itsmytelly and he will then ask me as the kids are asking him, again I say I am not bothered its a load of tosh.
To me when the children were little I loved the cards they made at nursey or school and loved the look on their proud little faces as they handed me their creations. I too still make a fuss of my own Mother on Mothers day she is my mum and the older she has got the more fuss she expects ! Buts thats fine I know she wont be around forever.
Last night again we had the round of what do you want Mum? Again I went through "dont spend your money on me" and Itsmytelly said, one day they will take you at your word and how disappointed will you be then? .........Would I be ? ;-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 4 Mar 2013 10:32

Yes, I think you would. I have changed from 'don't spend your money on me' to ' oh something little would be lovely'

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 4 Mar 2013 10:36

The thing is TS it doesnt matter even for my birthday and christmas I am always grateful for what I receive and I always love it , :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 Mar 2013 10:45

For me just a phone call from the girls and a message from son :-D

'days' are now a commercial con and I was delighted as Hayley said when they were little to be given handmade cards, I still have everything they made and all their school books and projects...lolol

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 4 Mar 2013 11:01

Mine are just coming out of the age where they do home made and I very much mourn the loss of my lovely glittery cards that moult all over the mantelpiece :-(

My two know not to buy me anything...I feel very much the same about Mothers day as I do about Valentines day...making me a cup of tea or doing the washing up would be nice on the day though lol. I always buy for my mum as I know she'd be hurt if I didn't x

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 4 Mar 2013 12:34

I am making my own mothers day cards this year for both my Mums. The shops are rubbish and over priced. I'm not much good at it so it should take them back to when I was little and made them - at least this way I can write a heartfelt message thats meaningful. I have a lot to thank them for.

I hope for a phone call too from my three its all I need.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Mar 2013 13:26

A card is all I want, sometimes, if we are together on the day, daughter will buy something but not every year.

Sadly our Mum's are longer alive to buy for. I miss sending a card the most.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Mar 2013 19:55

Like Sue, for me the 'days' are commercial rubbish.
I refuse to do anything 'special' on Mothering Sunday - but any other Sunday, they can spoil me as much as they want :-D

I'll probably spend mothering Sunday either spring cleaning or some DIY. If either of my daughters insist on visiting me - they can take some stuff to the dump for me. Elder daughter may take me over to hers for lunch.

Once, we did something 'special' - when my son in law was working at the Hotel du Vin, he arranged tea for me, his mum, his nan, my daughter, his sister's partners mum, and uncle Tom Cobbley & all - there were about 10 of us, and various spouses all having tea!!
A good way to please everyone at the same time :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Mar 2013 20:42

No fuss made at all.just another day........

Wend

Wend Report 4 Mar 2013 20:51

Not for me it isn't - I'm just hoping I shall still be 'Mum' this time next year :-D

Don't knock it!

Mersey

Mersey Report 4 Mar 2013 21:00

<3 <3 Wend <3 <3

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 5 Mar 2013 17:33

Prezzie from daughter number 2 has just arrived in the post. No longer is it a surprise when I open it on the day as the post office now has a declaration sticker on the outsiof the padded envelope stating the contents and the value. So although it is all nicely wrapped in pink tissue I know that inside there are books. Always a welcome present for me.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Mar 2013 17:35

Nice that it actually arrived isn't it Wendy? :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 5 Mar 2013 17:37

Hello Ann, yes it is last year her card went to the Caymen Islands instead of the Canaries.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Mar 2013 17:43

I remember that. brave of her to try again Lol!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Mar 2013 21:57

We don't have Mothering Sunday over here ............. not even in the churches :-)

We have Mother's Day on the 2nd Sunday in May ........ that's May 12 this year.

My daughter never used to give me more than a card when she lived at home (after the home-made gift time was over).

Now that she is at the other side of the country, over 5,000 km away, I do occasionally also get a little gift that she has bought .................... usually an artisan crafted piece of jewellery or a small piece of pottery.

I wish she wouldn't ................ but I think it is part of her M-i-L expects a gift, and she wants to treat us both the same.

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 5 Mar 2013 22:01

we call it Mothers day here Sylvia :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Mar 2013 22:04

is there still a special service in the churches, though??

here it is purely commercial ..................

all the ads are for diamond rings, pendants, etc

just as on Father's Day in June, one is exhorted to buy a Porsche or BMW for your father :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 5 Mar 2013 22:11

When did it change from Mothering Sunday to Mother's Day. Was it when it became so commercial?

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 5 Mar 2013 23:24

As far back as I can remember its been known as Mothers day as you say probably since became so commerical, Canada must be dead rich then Sylvia coz they advertise CD's here loads of songs from the 50's 60's 70's that you probably have anyway. :-D