General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ladies clothing sizes

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 4 Mar 2013 15:24

Why everywhere that advertises sizes 10-32 always use models who are no larger than a 12?

Surely using models of different sizes would make good sense.

In my mind I am still size 12, slim, no wrinkles etc., but I know really I am not. I need to see what a larger size looks like on and NO I am not stating my size. :-P

Julia

Julia Report 4 Mar 2013 15:40

Chris I so agreee with you. New Evans advert on the telly, is using young striplings to model the clothes. Very unfair, and misleading. I want to see someone my age and size modeling the clothes.

Julia in Derbyshire

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 Mar 2013 17:18

Size 12 is pushing it, try 8 or 10! They don't have a bust or child bearing hips, their waists are probably the size of my thigh and can wear horizontal stripes!!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Mar 2013 17:26

And do they think ladies over 70 aren't interested in fashion/hairstyles?

Gee

Gee Report 4 Mar 2013 18:18

So annoying when you are an odd shape...or may I say, a 'normal shape'

I am a 12, with size 10 hips and legs...sometimes I have to buy a 14 for the waist and then the hips/legs are weighed down with all the extra material :-|

I used to be a 'stick' and everything fitted fab.....now I am 'apple' :-(

Big 'bangers' dont help either, I have to buy a larger top to fit them and then the shoulders and sleeves......HANG

Gee

Gee Report 4 Mar 2013 18:21

The 'out size' models (Not my term)

......the ones that are listed as size 16, may well be just that

.........they may also be 6'4!!!

It's all relative ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Mar 2013 20:40

And why do all manufacturers of +size clothes assume we want to wear clothes with lots of sequins (really!!!) and are never over 5ft tall.

I now buy all my clothes from Sixteen47 and even then I have to eke out the fussy designs. As least I know the trousers will be long enough!

vera2010

vera2010 Report 4 Mar 2013 20:54

And just for sour grapes as my weight has crept up dramatically over the last few years, those models who think they are a size 8/10 aren't really. In my day size 10 was 32/22/34.

I would be 'happy' to move up a size if only my weight was evenly distributed. Loose tops can look very nice but not baggy trousers. Oh the dilemma.

Vera

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 4 Mar 2013 21:29

I don't think the size number on the label means anything anymore.

I have recently bought 2 items of clothing - a pair of trousers size 10 and a dress size 14.
And yet if I get trousers or a dress from M&S then I'm a 12.

What chance do we have of knowing what size we are!!? :-S :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 Mar 2013 23:59

I've been buying size 14 & 16 recently.

I'm still wearing some clothes I bought years ago, size 12.

I've grown a bit but my old clothes haven't!

Bra cup sizes have changed too!

:-(

When are clothes manufacturers going to realise most women wear trousers/pants........ and not all of us want to show the bum cleavage!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Mar 2013 00:20

Even M&S aren't consistant.

Trying on 2 pairs of trousers supposedly of the same size but different styles- one was a perfect fit, the other miles (next size up) too big.

I think the manufacturers have admitted that there has been some resizing taken place for vanity purposes eg what was size 14 is now labelled size 12.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Mar 2013 00:32

Really annoying!

OH & I go shopping, both want jeans & undies.

He buys the first pair of jeans he tries on, and gets a packet of 10 undies.

I try on every pair of jeans in the shop and none of them fit. My undies cost the same for 1 pair as he pays for 10.

Don't get me started on shoes.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 5 Mar 2013 01:16

I actually believe the sizes are a con trick :-(

I have got bigger and know I need larger sizes now, but when you go into the larger size shops or catalogues you have to try on sizes that are marked even higher

To my mind its to convince you that you have to shop there to get what you need

I hope that makes sense!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Mar 2013 03:14

I'm going to the camping store next week.

Maybe they will have a medium size tent that will fit me

:-D

Huia

Huia Report 5 Mar 2013 03:56

I dont like hipster style trousers. I keep wanting to hitch them up to my waist, but then they cut into my crotch and just wont stay there. At least in the Hospice shop where I work I have found some trousers that are a good fit, and at a very good price. As for tops, I have some that are size L, some XL, others XXL. My figure doesnt keep changing when I put a different size on. And at my age I dont like plunging necklines that show my wrinkled and moley neck! Not that I like an extra high neckline either.

Dont start me on shoes. :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Mar 2013 05:17

lol Huia

Sorry to mention shoes............. are you like me? One foot a whole size different?

If so, and we have "matching" feet, maybe we can go shopping?

:-D

I don't like high necklines, can't stand anything tight around my neck, and dangly ear-rings annoy me. OH says I must have been hanged in a previous life :-0

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Mar 2013 05:52

Then there is a well known shopping channel that has it's own sizing for ladies clothes.

Their size 12 is actually size 18.....!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 5 Mar 2013 07:27

American sizes are lower than ours. Their size zero is our size 6.

So the size 12 may be an American make.

Huia

Huia Report 5 Mar 2013 08:25

Scozz, I dont think one foot is bigger than the other, at least not noticeably so. I just have high insteps (or is it wide feet?) and need to buy bigger sizes so I can get my feet into them. For this reason I like wearing trousers, so that I can wear running shoes. Forget about dainty fashion shoes for me. As for high heels, I would probably break my neck wearing such things.

Julia

Julia Report 5 Mar 2013 08:33

Morning All

Time was that you could rely on M & S for sizing. I could go armed with the leg length and waist size for the OH, select a pair of trousers, take them home, and knew they would fit.
Even for myself, when buying trousers. If I got 'short lenght' I knew I did not have to turn them up.
Not so now, however. It is pot luck. I still have two pairs I bought last year, and still want the bottoms turned up.
And why oh why do they assume that because I want a large size, for hips and waist, that I have great big thighs. I could practically make another pair for one of the grand-children, with the surplus I can grasp.
In fact, not very pleased at all with the clothes on offer. As to the workmanship. Well, don't get me started.

Julia in Derbyshire