General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Telegrams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 8 Mar 2013 15:35

Does anyone miss them?

Whilst going through my mothers papers I came across a telegram congratulating my parents on my birth. It got me thinking, nowadays messages are fast and relatively simple via mobiles & internet but ephemeral.

In the past (with the exception of wartime) telegrams usually heralded an event...a visit, birth, birthday greetings, wedding greetings, sometimes sadly a death.

wedding greetings were read out during the reception sometimes rather on the risque side

On reaching the age of 100 a birthday telegram would be sent by the queen

They were kept and treasured.

Cards can be beautiful but unless you are skilled at making your own the price of a good one along with the postage is probably about the same as the old telegram & at least you were assured of a telegram being delivered

I miss them

Edit ... meant to say heralded a happy event

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 8 Mar 2013 15:41

We were sent a lovely telegram on our wedding day 1962 from my managers.
It showed a bride and groom on a floral boat and riding a wave, with the sentiment... " May your ship of matrimony never meet stormy seas"......kept in the wedding album.
I suppose it's historic document now :-D

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 8 Mar 2013 15:47

Sounds beautiful Mau and you obviously treasure it :-D

And the sentiments :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Mar 2013 16:18

We had some telegrams too for our marriage in 1957 . |t was the norm then to send telegrams .one is from my mum & dad even tho I lived at home.

Overall though telegrams had the reputation of being the harbor of bad news so my parents hated any suddenly turning up. Think this was because most folks didnt have home telephones so communication was a bit difficult.

I used to go to the local phone box to phone my WW2 foster parents and this would be after 7pm when the rate was cheaper. This was in the 1950,s

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Mar 2013 16:25

Yes I still have some telegrams that were sent to us on our wedding day from people who were not at the wedding for various reasons. I also have a telegram sent by my OH from HMS Eagle telling me what time they were expected in Devonport.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 8 Mar 2013 16:54

Arriving Paddington STOP 6.15 STOP Bringing Aunty STOP

In a few generations. anyone coming across telegrams will think it was a strange text speak
:-D