General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why do you reply on certain threads?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 9 Mar 2013 15:20

Do you actually read what is said in the Opening Post?

Dizzi put up a tread earlier about the fact that that there is NO meat in the beef pies baked in Iceland.

The reply's came, about processed meat & salt content:-S

I give this as an example, as I know Dizzi will not mind, but see it time & again on other threads.

I never go on certain threads like the Australian one or the Welsh one, as I live in Sussex, England, have no interest in Football or Rugby so give them a miss too.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Mar 2013 15:25

Ah but you miss a gem by not going on the Welsh thread Carol. I go on it but don't live in Wales. It is a lovely thread, never any controversy or nastiness just pleasant chat.

I do read the OP but threads invariably go off track, it is human nature when chatting as one subject leads to another, it is what makes the threads interesting. Unless they are deliberately turned of course.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 9 Mar 2013 15:25

I guess if there's something someone wants to say that's broadly on topic ...they'll say it.

Better that than not posting at all and the boards going static.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 9 Mar 2013 16:10

Don't let it worry you Carol I deleted mine, no problem as they obviously offended you.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 9 Mar 2013 16:17

No it did not offend me Boo, I just used that thread as an example of what seems to happen time & again on these boards.

The Opening Post is taken to mean something entirely different to what it actually says.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 9 Mar 2013 17:44

I do read the opening posts and follow them through sometimes I will post on the OP others I may continue the banter which follows.

I have been on the Aussie thread as they used to be the only people awake when I used to wait up for OH to come home from work and was always made welcome.

I do avoid threads that I have no interest in but I have learnt that football threads can have some amusement

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 9 Mar 2013 17:51

I'm up for any football thread, Carol and Uzzin.

Kidderminster Harriers won today :-D :-D They sell Iceland meat pies at half time ;-)

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 9 Mar 2013 17:55

They are No Meat Meat Pies, not just any old meat pie, John :-D :-D :-D

GinN

GinN Report 9 Mar 2013 17:55

I often reply after the first page, only to realise that there were a few more pages, and the chat has moved on! But that's just me - impetuous! :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 9 Mar 2013 18:02

John totally of content but the name is Uzzi I know having to put it all in 1 is strange but it reads Uzzi In Sunshine :-S

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 9 Mar 2013 18:02

Missed that Carol. No wonder that Roy Walker has turned them round in such a short time. 3-2-1 is not his only forte.

I got a king prawn sandwich in a rocket yesterday. Two prawns and no rocket - just a bit of straggly limp green stuff. And that was Morrisons.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 9 Mar 2013 18:07

You could do it like this Uzzi...
Uzzi_in_Sunshine
but it would be better if we could use spaces I think. :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 9 Mar 2013 18:09

Sorry Uzzi. Do struggle a bit with a small screen and a big head :-( :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Mar 2013 00:48

Uzzi

I have the same reason as you for SylviaInCanada :-(

I used to have spaces between the words, and before that I had Sylvia (In Canada) ............ but GR has made it impossible to have either spaces or parentheses

back on topic ...................

Carol ............

I do read the OP, often find ones that interest me (otherwise leave the thread and continue looking), but then I find that the rest of the thread has gone way off topic if I follow it to the last post.

That's one of the problems of being around when most people are in bed ................... or, put it the other way, of not being around when everyone else is posting during the UK evening!

I go on the Aussie thread ................ not in OZ, but we have been down there several times, including for almost a year in the mid-70s, and I have lots of relations and friends down there.

I go on the Welsh thread ................ I have no connection with Wales, but I use the excuse that OH is half Welsh

They are both lovely threads .................. and everyone makes an effort not to be controversial, or cause trouble, on them. Plus, both of them welcome others

There's a couple of other threads that are the same.