General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HISTORICAL (STORAGE UNITS)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 9 Mar 2013 20:31

I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING MY FAMILY SINCE 1976
SO NEEDS NO IMAGINATION AS TO HOW MUCH STUFF I HAVE,
NOW I STARTED THINKING,
WHEN I'M GONE WHO WILL CARE FOR ALL MY RESEARCH BACK
TO 1600,MEDALS,SMALL TRINKETS.DAUGHTER IS TOTALLY UNINTERESTED
AND CLASS'S IT ALL AS JUNK AND IT WILL ALL END UP IN THE GARAGE TILL ONE DAY ITS TAKEN TO THE TIP,SON SOMETIMES LOOKS BUT HAS NO ROOM,
PERHAPS THATS WHAT WE NEED ,STORAGE UNITS FOR BITS THAT FUTURE
HISTORIANS CAN SEARCH,,,,OUR GENEALOGY LIBRARY

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Mar 2013 20:35

i have all my family tree stuff in the office (spare bedroom) neatly filed under F

F for FLIPPIN LOST

and the rest in bookcases in the loft :-D :-D

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 9 Mar 2013 21:49

Oh it's so great to see you posting regularly again. How are things, hope steadily improving daily love. <3 :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Mar 2013 22:35

Hi Dizzi,
I've inherited my mum's genealogy stuff - 4 huge boxes of it!!
I have to go through it very carefully, because I know some of it's a dupicate of what I've done - I want to throw that out, but I've found old photo's amongst the pages.
There should also be interesting books & newspaper cuttings I sent to mum - mainly because, as I am working, I didn't have as much time as mum.
There are also loads of floppy discs - that I can't use with my PC.
I bought mum a disc converter for her birthday last June, but don't know whether she managed to transfer anything on to CD before she died in December.
There are loads of CD's - but none are labelled.
Loads of junk.
Someone sent her 397 pages detailing one side of the family back to 1471, That mum printed out. She noticed they had the date & area of my g grandmother's death wrong. There was an e-mail from the creator of this forest saying - oh the birth of AB to CD in1471 was wrong!!!

Once I'd checked to see if they'd detailed where they got their information from - and found they hadn't - that went straight into the bin

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Mar 2013 22:42

Dizzi, could you put in your will that all family history stuff is to be offered to your local FH society? You could contact them to see if they are interested.