General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barlcays- Online Banking (really !!!!)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 Mar 2013 20:06

I have just decided that I would like to do online banking in our Barclays account.

Well, what a palaver.

Phoned up (got through to India!!) spoke to 2 different people who did not understand that I had never done online banking before !!!!

I am now going to get in the post a 'card reader' which has to be attached to my computer before I can do any transferring of money etc.,

This is a joke..... please tell me I have fallen asleep and have had a nightmare :-S

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 10 Mar 2013 20:09

the card reader does not attach to your computer.
Basically you put your debit card in it and your pin so that you can log in - very secure.
It is like a small calculator and give you a number to type into the website which is a fresh number every time and prevents (in theory) others accessing your account.
Bear with it - it actually works rather well

Von

Von Report 10 Mar 2013 20:11

PP
The card reader is for your own security.

It's the same one as they use in the bank when you take out money on your card

Von

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 Mar 2013 20:28

Von - never go into a bank only ever use 'hole in the wall' only ever done telephone banking.

Errol - excuse my ignorance, but if not attached to my computer how do I access my account to move money about etc.,? :-S

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 Mar 2013 20:32

ooh and I just had a thought - I am only on Broadband not WiFi will that make any difference?

Off now until tomorrow

Thanks for your help... <3

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 Mar 2013 20:55

The card reader just generates an extra password (number actually) which you type into the computer when it asks for it.
Natwest use the same system.
Once you have logged in then your accounts are listed on the screen and you can move money from one to the other or else pay persons, businesses or other banks and set up standing orders so long as you have the recipient's sort code and account number.
Broadband or WiFi (or even dial-up if that still exists) are both OK.

Von

Von Report 10 Mar 2013 20:55

PP
I've sent you a pm.
Von

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 10 Mar 2013 21:25

Aw bless you PP......:)

Von...hope you have helped her with your pm:))

jude x

Wend

Wend Report 10 Mar 2013 23:05

I have one and find it very simple to use.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Mar 2013 23:30

Pin sentry works.........but at times, is a pain.........
Bob

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 11 Mar 2013 00:50

PP - you may feel that it's a pain in the neck at first, but keep the instructions close to hand and stick with it, practise makes perfect.
After a short while you'll see that its additional security is a bonus, where, in this day and age it so often lacks, and you hear about this, that and the next thing being hacked into.
Once you've got used to using it, you will see the advantages.
NatWest and HSBC have them too.
You will get used to it, honestly ;-) that goes for the online banking and the Pin sentry (card reader).

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Mar 2013 10:56

Hate to rain on the parade but ...

(1) These devices create a false sense of security as they are vulnerable to "man in the middle attacks". As Barclays and others insist they are infallible (not) you'll get nowhere with any problems once one is registered to your account.

(2) India is a different planet to the UK. Vast amounts of UK banking data are now accessible in India (NHS records, DVLC to come). It is then unsurprising that India is the WalMart of bulk bank credentials etc. Crashes such as RBS ( again ) are not surprising either.

These devices are not new - I was using such a system for access back in the 1980s. That was within an already tightly secured perimeter. Out in the wild is another thing altogether.

Nobody should use a debit card linked to their bank account on line, ever. That especially applies to recurring payments and subs. Either use a credit card - which gives some protection - or one of those pre-charged VISA cards which are used for holiday cash etc.

I shudder to think of the consequences of people on the street with proximity cards ( no pin ) good for £ 20, Oyster cards, smartphones with apps such as ping-it and on line banking. Low hanging fruit from some points of view.

If you have JAVA installed on your computer remove it. Now.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/14/169338707/java-security-flaw-is-repaired-experts-still-recommend-disabling-it

Island

Island Report 11 Mar 2013 11:21

Oyster cards? Aren't you being a little alarmist? Paranoid even?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Mar 2013 11:45

Does anyone know if a card reader issued by a different Bank work with Barclays?

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 11 Mar 2013 14:15

Nationwide have used this method for a while, is simple to use as you are given instructions each time.

'you'll get nowhere with any problems once one is registered to your account' ?
Rollo you are scaremongering, unless you have personally had problems, a lot of what you have stated is hearsay.

Other than not using Debit cards on insecure sites, that is.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Mar 2013 14:16

It will not, out-of-the-box anyway.

Island

Island Report 11 Mar 2013 14:27

:-S

jax

jax Report 11 Mar 2013 14:31

My online banking account does not have one of these reader things

I have a 9 number I.D followed by a password then I have to put 3 letter/numbers from a memorable bit of infomation

It has been ok for the last 7 years I have used it

Joy

Joy Report 11 Mar 2013 14:35

"Does anyone know if a card reader issued by a different Bank work with Barclays?"

I cannot answer specifically; however, a card-reader issued by a different bank worked with a Nationwide account.

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Mar 2013 19:37

I'm the same as jax. I've had no problems for years but it did take a while to learn the 9 digit ID number. I can now do money transactions using my mobile phone.
No cards to play around with this system.

GP