General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hospital parking fines WARNING

Page 1 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 12 Mar 2013 16:13

Suzanne, Get your son to ask the hospital to write a covering letter, My wife does this all the time in circumstances such as yours and all have been accepted by the council

Roy

Edit, I note; you say your a nurse, Have you never done a covering letter when this has happend to one of your patients family in such circumstances?

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Mar 2013 15:44

We decided not to apply for our disabled badge because we would not get enough use from it but occasionally one of us will wait for the other on a double yellow if there is enough room around us for the disabled to park.

We don't think we are causing anybody any inconvenience and if we were we would move immediately if asked. It didn'y stop a woman standing by the car,standing still for longer than my back will allow me actually, to explain the error of his ways in making her walk three feet further than she would have liked.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Mar 2013 15:12

Thanks Roger was about to say the same as you about parking in a disabled bay.

Roger

Roger Report 12 Mar 2013 15:08

Well I am dead against anyone who is not disabled parking in a disabled parking bay.

Because even at 3 a.m. someone who was disabled could have needed that bay.

But for getting a larger bill after appealing you know what I would do - get the local Newspaper involved as these people don't like Bad publicity. As for the Baliffs going at 3 in the morning well it beggers belief.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 12 Mar 2013 14:58

If you have a child in hospital or are visiting a terminally ill family member you can ask for a free parking pass.

BIL had one when my sister was an inpatient, he asked the ward sister and he was referred to the right office and used it for 2 weeks.

Always worth asking.

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 12 Mar 2013 14:14

My hospital parking is free in North Wales...and Sue ,we don't have tickets at Glan Clwyd.
This has been for over 2 years now,before used to cost a fortune.
Daughter in England has paid out a fortune going to the hospital to see the baby ill with meningitis..thank goodness she is home now.

Merlin

Merlin Report 12 Mar 2013 13:49

Sharron, you hit the nail on the head, its the abuse by people parking in the Hospital car parks that has caused a lot of the problems,they seem to forget its National Health Service, not National Car Parks.**M**.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Mar 2013 12:02

we got a £50 fine last year we just paid it :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Mar 2013 11:50

Glad g/son was fine.......but this may not go down well,,,,,,but after 5 hours from 3 am would be 8ish in the morning September would be light and it would have been seen it was a disabled parking space,,,,,,,on the other edge had your son wanted a disabled space at 3 am and it was blocked by an ordinary driver for 5 hours would you expect a fine to be imposed?,,,,,,

The fine was probally imposed because of the lenghth of time( 5 hours ) the space was taken by an ordinary road user,and there had been ample time to go and move the car.

Agree with Sue,,,,pay and then contest it.

Balliffs are a curse,they dont just the job,but fear into people.......

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Mar 2013 09:58

Who remembers the time when hospital car parks were free?

Not all good though was it?

In Chichester the Oaklands Park, where the tennis club is, car park was a pay and display. A short walk away was the free hospital car park.

You write your own ending to this story.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 12 Mar 2013 09:41

Suzanne, to say I am appalled by what happened to your son would be to put it mildly, I am furious :-|

I am sure your local newspaper would love to take up this this story, so would some of the tabloids such as the Daily Star; Daily Mirror; The Sun; or Daily Mail ;-)

Penny

Penny Report 12 Mar 2013 06:39

Ultimately the fine was for parking in a disabled bay. I guess the circumstances are irrelevent. I agree it would have been better to pay the fine, then contest it.

The council where I live apparently are lenient with fines ONCE and once only. Mums blue badge fell off the dash, leaving just the clock. I got a fine, I paid and appeled and got the money back, and they stated quite categorically, they wouldnt repeat the exersise

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 12 Mar 2013 02:42

Makes you wonder if the appeals are ever actually read by real people or just summarily ignored.

I suspect from reading the posts it more likely to be the latter

I hope you do take it further as suggested

Jean

Jean Report 12 Mar 2013 00:58

the powers that be have no feelings.its all about money, parking should be free at all hospitals. when in a panic you do your best to get treatment a.s.a.p.more barriers are being put in place to stop US using the services we pay for. in a couple of years there will be no a&e units that you can walk into.. you will have to be reffered...its been on the card for years.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Mar 2013 00:47

My brother was fined for staying too long in a parking space (in the street) near a hospital.

He explained to the council that he could not return to his car at the time, because our Mother was in Intensive Care at the hospital.

Mum died that day.

The council didn't care; brother had to pay the fine.

The revenue for that council from parking fines must be enormous.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 12 Mar 2013 00:42

Bailiffs for an initial £60 fine? However, I would have paid the £60..00 and then appealed against it on the grounds of mental stress and panic.

Fines between £60 and £80 can be levied for parking in a disabled bay without a badge or a disabled tax disc.

You are much more likely to be successful in appealing against the initial fine than the inflated one once the bailiffs have added the court and their fees.

VERY IMPORTANT: The fine for parking in the disabled pay IS legitimate, hence it should have been paid and contested afterwards.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news and I do understand your anger, many people would have done the same.

You can appeal again, claiming stress and offer to pay the £60.00 ONLY. I'd try that and see what they say.

Good luck

Sue

PS If there is anything I can help with just pm me, although I am always on the side of the disabled and constantly fight to keep able bodied OUT of these parking bays in this instance I would support your case :-)

Sue x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Mar 2013 00:05

right, I've got the email address so I shall send your posting if that's OK? let me know

Ann XXX

wag-en@mailuk.custhelp.com

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Mar 2013 00:01

also write to the leader of the Welsh Assembly - in fact, the mood I'm in I'll write for you

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Mar 2013 23:58

not free at the University Hospital of Wales - they are in a contract which lasts for years to come

with regard to your fine Suzanne I would fight to the bitter end - chain myself to the railings, anything but I would not pay - thieving bastards - sorry for language

I'd get my MP on it and I'd be writing to David Cameron, these were extenuating circumstances and the sooner someone realises that the better - this world is getting madder by the minute

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 11 Mar 2013 23:50

I WAS IN FOR 2 MONTHS BEFORE XMAS,,OH PAID NEALY £200
IN PARKING FEES