General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tomorrow I am officially......

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 15 Mar 2013 21:25

......an old age pensioner :-0

I have heard from the British Government that I'm eligible for a part UK pension. However, as I live in Australia, there will be no increases in payments over the years.

I have also heard from the Australian Government that I am eligible for a part Oz pension. But more to the point I have been sent a Pensioner Concession card.

First thing Monday I'm off to the Council Offices to register the card on my property rates information as it allows me up to 50% of the Council Rates. Council also act for the State Motor Licencing Branch so from now on no more paying for a driving licence; also receive a concession on vehicle registration fees.

I will now only have to pay minimal costs for my medication, and my doctor will prbably bulk bill me so no more medical costs.

Ageing does have some advantages :-D :-D

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 15 Mar 2013 21:27

I think I might Emigrate

Happy Birthday Allan

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 15 Mar 2013 21:29

Welcome to the club, Allan...it's downhill all the way now :-D Happy Birthday for tomorrow <3 ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 15 Mar 2013 21:37

:-D :-D :-D

My OH would have had me linning up at the Council Offices last Thursday when I received my card.

I had to point out the small print that said the card would be active from 17th March :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Mar 2013 21:37

Happy Birthday.

There seem to be some worthwhile perks for 'mature' folk over there.

Gwyn

Allan

Allan Report 15 Mar 2013 22:00

lol Gwyn, there are :-)

While I will have to pay tax on my UK and Australian pensions, I do not have to pay any tax on my company superannuation payments I receive.

A few years ago the legislation was changed so that any payments received by persons over the age of 60 were tax exempt, although for the purposes of calculating my Oz age pension, those payments were still classed as income :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Mar 2013 22:01

Happy Birthday Allan
xxxx

you get more perks than we do :-D

Allan

Allan Report 15 Mar 2013 22:03

Thanks Sylvia :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Mar 2013 22:03

Happy birthday Allan welcome to the exclusive pensioners
Club.

George

George Report 15 Mar 2013 22:04

Blimey, another old fogey on the board :-D :-D :-D :-D

Happy Birthday Allan, have a cracker of a day. :-D :-D :-D

George :-) :-) :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Mar 2013 22:17

Best Wishes Allen,,,,hope the party goes well and you get a nice cooked roo..... :-D.

Allan

Allan Report 15 Mar 2013 22:20

Thanks George

Kay, I'm just off to collect the road kill now, then let it hang in the sun for 24 hours :-D

Joeva

Joeva Report 15 Mar 2013 22:25

Happy retirement Allan!

Welcome to seven day weekends - that's if you can afford to give up work :-D

Jo

-

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 15 Mar 2013 22:32

did you know Allan

on your birthday you share it with 9 million others :-D

Allan

Allan Report 15 Mar 2013 22:36

So why do I still feel lonely? :-D :-D

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 15 Mar 2013 22:38

:-D

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 15 Mar 2013 23:03

Happy birthday old man :-D and happy retirement :-D

Mau xx

Allan

Allan Report 15 Mar 2013 23:19

thanks all :-D

I officially retired about 18 months ago.

I used to work in local government and in 2006 I accepted a voluntary redundancy and established my own business doing consultancy work for local covernments.

Then along came the GFC and many councils, at least in West Australia, lost a hell of a lot of money when Leemans collapsed.

The first trhing Councils cut back on were...consultants!

I kept the business for a couple of years after but the cost of the insurance premiums for public liability and professional indemnity compared to the amount of work I was receiving made me decide to call it a day :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Mar 2013 04:54

Happy Birthday Allan, hope this next chapter in your life goes well, enjoy the concessions you get

Lizx

Allan

Allan Report 16 Mar 2013 08:06

Thanks Liz :-)