General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Theatre Goers..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 17 Mar 2013 20:32

We used to go to the theatre regularly, and just got out of the habit of going. We have a great new theatre near us, and they have lots of good plays & shows coming up, have promised ourselves to go to a few of them.

Any more theatre goers on here. if so what have you seen lately, was it any good?

Mersey

Mersey Report 17 Mar 2013 20:37

I love the theatre Lynda, havent been for awhile and really do miss it.... We took Mum to see Goodnight Mister Tom in Manchester ......it was lovely.... As for musicals I adore them !!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Mar 2013 20:39

donlt go regularly - pretty expensive - we have the Millenium Centre - lovely newish theatre here in Cardiff Bay - seen two operas and Les Mis there recently

We also have St.David's Hall which is cheaper but a lot smaller and a traditional theatre - The New Theatre, so we are pretty well catered for

GinN

GinN Report 17 Mar 2013 20:42

Tend to go to to local theatres to see groups and singers we like - the last ones were Fairport Convention, The Animals, - and going to see Seth Lakeman in May.
We had to cancel our visit to London to se War Horse in January, but hope to rebook soon.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Mar 2013 20:51

We go to quite a few concerts at the NIA or The NEC. We'll be seeing The Moody Blues in June. We also go to Warwick Arts Centre for music and for comedy. We saw Jeremy Hardy last month and will be seeing Rich Hall soon and Paul Merton in the autumn.

We live fairly near Stratford and will be going to some summer Shakespeare this year.

Gwynne

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 17 Mar 2013 20:58

I was hoping that Goodnight Mister Tom, would come to our theatre Mersey, but it hasn't. I love the film, so moving.

I used to run a little theatre group, it started off by just me and hubby going, then when I told friends, they said next time you go, we'll come, so in the end we used to get a coach load going, real fun it was :-D

I have a stack of plays I want to see this year Mersey, there's at least one a month I want to see In September we have Pricilla Queen of the Desert, that looks great, my daughter saw it last year and raved about it.

Have seen Phantom a couple of times, Les Mis, Miss Saigon (three times, cried every time) One of the best I saw was Blood Brothers. saw that twice. that had the whole audience in tears, even the men, when it ended the auditorium was silent. I definitely want to see that again. I'm taking eldest granddaughter to see Pasha Kovalev and Katya Virshilas, from Strictly later this month, a girly night out :-D

GN we often stay at the Travelodge Covent Garden, when we get a good offer, and The war horse is opposite, but every time we stay, we can't get tickets, it's another one I really want to see

I've been to Cardiff ice ring Ann, I used to watch ice hockey, was ery impressed with Cardiff.

Gwynne, it's great to have a variety of theatres nearby isn't it? Hubby loves The Moody Blues :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 17 Mar 2013 21:11

I have seen Pricilla Queen of the Desert twice Lynda a few years back I loved it !! Also loved watching Blood Brothers here at the Empire in Liverpool it always blows me away . Seen Miss Saigon in Manchester but that was a while back. I could go on and on im more of a theatre goer than bf although he is getting used to my hints now and again.

The one I did see was Whistle Down the Wind, and have to say I more than blubbed, I literally couldn't see coming out of the theatre I was uncontrollable, a beautiful musical. (Im a softie) :-)

We have alot of comedy theatre more so at the Royal Court but haven't got there for a while what with family commitments and such......

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 17 Mar 2013 21:11

Out of interest, has anyone else ever see a musical called, A Slice of Saturday Night., it's set in a nightclub called, the Club-a-Go-Go. Went with a group of friends, and had the most fun night, saw it in the west End, but wondered if it ever went on tour? It's something I'd love to see again.

If you lived nearby Mersey, I'd probably see you at the theatre often :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Mar 2013 22:13

I don't think that has gone on tour Lynda, not heard of it.

We have seen Les Mis and Blood Brothers four times, Joseph I have lost count, phantam, Lion King, Me and my Girl, Cats, Forty Second Street, Saw Maureen Lipman in Wonderful Town, South Pacific, Evita, Love Never dies.

Before my hearing deteriorated we went to a lot of plays, mainly by Am Dram companies but, unless there is a good loop system
M those are out for me now sadly.

These days we can go to Cheltenham or Bristol for the theatre but I prefer Bristol because there are seats within a loop system which I need with my hearing problem, Cheltenham's theatre has a system but it is not as good.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Mar 2013 22:19

as a teenager visitng my aunts in London went to the Palladium quite often - saw South Pacific with Mary Martin, The King and I, White Horse Inn on Ice, Norman Wisdom with Jerry Desmond

In Cardiff have seen Les, Mis, Carmen, Madame Butterfly, Starlight Express, Acorn Antiques, Red Army, Red Navy, various ballets, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones over and over agan, Elton John, Kenny Rogers, Glenn Campbell, Don McClean, Mel Torme, The Fureys, Joe Longthorne, Dave Allan

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 18 Mar 2013 03:03

Last time I went to the theatre was earlier this Winter, to see "Wind in the Willows"

at The Cresent Theatre in Birmingham.

Also saw "We will Rock You" a musical.

A few years ago saw "Miss Saigon" at another BIrmingham Theatre.

Used to go a quite often (occassionally to London), but don't go much now.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 18 Mar 2013 04:15

I have not been going as much as I would like but had decided that this year I would make a concerted effort to go to the theatre more often and also see a few musicals. It will have to be without him indoors though as he is lacking in cultural DNA amongst other things.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 18 Mar 2013 09:49

I saw the ones Ann C saw all those years ago,but in Manchester,remember Mary Martin washing her hair on stage in S Pacific.
Lived in London for a while and saw all the shows going including Aida at Earls Court the same time as Charles and Diana.
Recently seen Starlight Express...new version...saw old one in London.
And High Society here in Llandudno.
Love the theatre...my mother used to take me to see all the shows in the 40's. saw Ivor Novello,Gigli,John Hanson etc.
I still have the opera glasses I bought from a pawn shop for 17/6d. As we sat in the Gods...
Nothing like seeing a live show.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Mar 2013 09:52

We are going on a school trip to see Horrible Histories about the Tudors in May.......I am very excited :-D :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Mar 2013 11:26

Have tickets for Priscilla Queen of the Desert for August as OH
and I love the theatre, we tried to get tickets for Full Monty which
was on last week but no luck.
We have a variety theatre which after many years of being closed
has now been brought back to life and should be opening some
time this year, we are looking forward to that as it was very popular
back in the day.

Emma :-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Mar 2013 12:14

Get your dancing shoes on Ems and also get ready for tired hands afterwards from clapping......its fabulousous :-D :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Mar 2013 13:04

Mersey we are so looking forward to it :-D