General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paying for viewing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madeleine

Madeleine Report 17 Mar 2013 20:34

I really don't understand my account with Genes. I am a standard member. I see that I was given a certain amount of points to use when I want to view an item. Does that mean that when I have used these points up I am unable to view any others for the rest of my year? :-S

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Mar 2013 20:40

No, you where issued free credits, once they run out you will need to buy more, However their are plenty of free sites you can use if you need help go to the genealogy chat board or the find ancestors board if you need a look up,

Roy

Madeleine

Madeleine Report 18 Mar 2013 09:08

Oh, I see. Thank you for that. So, would you mind telling me one more thing? What do you actually get for your years joining price? Thank you again. :-S

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Mar 2013 09:32

For help on anything its best to consult the Complete FAQ Listing, You can find it by clicking on the Help tab at the top of this page,

This is what it says under the heading "Subscriptions and renewals" in that section

It is free to register with Genes Reunited. You can build your family tree, use the search facilities to find possible matches to your family name, add notes against relations in your tree, upload photos and scanned images to your Keepsafe and attach these images to relations in your family tree and receive emails from other members and reply to these emails. Also, if you already have experience in researching your family history you can import your Gedcom file in to your Genes Reunited family tree.

We offer 2 types of subscription. The cost of each will be shown on the subscription page where you can select a package that suits you best. If you are currently subscribed, you'll only see the options available to you. The link to subscribe can be found in the top right hand corner of the page.

1). Standard.

This is available for 6 months or as an annual subscription.

If you choose a Standard subscription you will have the ability to contact other members from your search results, link up to view other members' trees when they invite you to do so and add messages to the message boards. The cost of the subscription does not include credits for our records section, although you do get free access to our non-indexed birth, marriage and death records. Credits for the rest of the records have to be purchased separately. You do not have to be subscribed to buy credits. Further details can be found at the bottom of the page.

2). Platinum.

This is available for a one month, six months or as an annual subscription.

If you choose a Platinum subscription you will be able to contact other members, link up to view other members' trees when they invite you to do so and add messages to the message boards. You will also have access to the following records:

England and Wales indexed birth, marriage and death records
Overseas birth, marriage and death records
Census records from 1841 to 1911

If you have a Platinum subscription then you can buy an Additional Features package giving you access to the following record sets:

Military records
Travel and Overseas records
Parish records
British Newspaper Archive content

Each record set has to be bought separately. The Additional Feature will last until your subscription ends and gives you unlimited access to all of these records. The cost of it depends on what type of Platinum package you have. If you click on 'Add features' on your homepage you'll see how much you will have to pay.

If you already have a standard subscription, you can upgrade at any time to a Platinum subscription. It is not possible to downgrade your subscription during the term of that subscription. However, at the end of the term you can then downgrade, or not renew at all, if you wish.

You can also buy Pay Per View credits. You can either buy 50 or 200. These can be used to view the following records:
Birth, marriage and death records
Census records from 1841 to 1911
Military records
Travel and Overseas records
Parish records
British Newspaper Archive content

You can also use them to send messages to other members.

Roy

Madeleine

Madeleine Report 18 Mar 2013 13:24

OK. Many thanks again. 'Tis a wee bit convoluted. I will continue to study it all carefully. Here's hoping!. Madeleine.

Philip

Philip Report 3 Feb 2018 13:38

why do you to pay again to look at records you have in keepsafe

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 3 Feb 2018 13:49

Hi Philip

It does seem unfair I know, but unless you have a platinum sub you will be charged pay by view (or the credits will be deducted)

What you need to do is download the document straight away to your computer. Then you can view it whenever you want. You can always upload it from your computer to your Keepsafe, and view it there that way.

I crop the excess off the doc -eg on a Parish Marriage I crop off the second marriage record, and then upload it to my keepsafe.