General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Request To View Your Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 20 Mar 2013 17:49

Two more requests to view tree, no information on subject or what possible connection there could be!!

I may be hard in not wishing to respond but quite honestly do not think I should have to ask who they are looking for. Genes said some time ago they would change the wording of these automatic requests, nothing appears to have changed.

I feel sorry for new researchers finding their way round but it is is up to Genes to give advice on how to approach members with appropriate information.

In the past I have opened my tree when a link seems possible or tried to give assistance and a pointer in the right direction. I do not have the time to second guess and trawl through trees to find links.

Genes are in danger of putting a lot of new members off renewing if the system is not working for them but seem reluctant to make the simplest of changes to the requests :-(

How many more posts will appear about requests not being responded to before they wake up!!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 Mar 2013 18:44

I feel exactly the same as you, Lolly.

Also had 2 requests this morning. One had opened their tree, one hadn't. Think I will wait now till they write again with some detail.

Felt very pleased to open my tree till one or two on chat started passing round stuff off my tree to get at me a few months ago. Now extremely nervous to let anyone new see my tree. :-(

jax

jax Report 20 Mar 2013 18:47

Have you opened your tree to people on chat then John?

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 20 Mar 2013 19:20

I recently had a request like that Lolly, when I opened the message I clicked on the the name of the person who had sent the request (where the name was in green) and it did show who the request was regarding.:-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 Mar 2013 19:30

Jax. I opened my tree to very many people in 9 years before I came on chat. Never thought of anyone wanting to research me persoally or family. Too late now. :-(

Wend

Wend Report 20 Mar 2013 19:45

I wonder who on GR Chat has seen JLC's tree, because I haven't :-S

jax

jax Report 20 Mar 2013 19:48

Nor me

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 20 Mar 2013 20:37

Lyndi~~~~~~

Well I live and learn :-)

That does work and have to admit didn't know about that feature, in this case the name and date doesn't tally with the tree that was opened and with no further information given, just leads to more faffing about and time wasting.

Thanks for the tip though :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 21 Mar 2013 08:09

Had a further two messages this morning. Might write to them both and ask them why they want to see my tree. :-(

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 21 Mar 2013 20:13

Good on you, personally I am no longer going to waste time responding when more info isn't forthcoming in the original request :-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Mar 2013 10:10

I've posted about this problem, and had a response from GR (Estelle)..... they said they WILL fix it.

Don't hold your breath.

:-(

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 22 Mar 2013 11:15

I wont Scozz :-)

They are not very good at taking well intentioned suggestions and acting on them :-(