General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How could she.....??

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry_

Barry_ Report 22 Mar 2013 12:44

About 8.30 this morning near Purley / Croydon a woman threw herself and a child in front of a train. They were both killed.

My goodness, what troubles were going through her mind to drag an innocent child to die in such an awful manner? It doesn't bear thinking about!

My sincere sympathies to the family - and also to the poor train driver; how he feels after this awful event I cannot begin to imagine. He'll never be the same person.

There are always far reaching repercussions in such tragic circumstances.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Mar 2013 12:54

I can't think.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Mar 2013 12:55

my son is a train driver - never happened to him yet but some drivers never return to work after such an incident - I have every sympathy with the victim and family, must have been in a dreadful state to do such a thing - just a shame to involve another person

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2013 12:58

How sad, she must have felt that she had nobody to turn to. Is that in UK Barry? I have a feeling it may not be.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 22 Mar 2013 13:03

It was in Purley, Croydon area Ann

Very sad for all involved, poor woman must have been in the depths of despair

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Mar 2013 13:04

Ann - Barry said Croydon. My first thoughts were of horror and why take the child also and then thought of the train driver - bad enough an adult but when he learns of a child also.

He may never work again and the horror stay with him.

Hope it is not yet another case 'if I can't have him/her, you won't'.

My prayers to all those concerned in this dreadful tragedy

Barry_

Barry_ Report 22 Mar 2013 13:07

Yes, Ann, it was at Riddlesdown, near Purley.

Sorry, I noted Pulley, not Purley. Too early in the morning for me.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Mar 2013 13:09

Many years ago my sister was on a train platform when someone jumped in front of a train. She did not witness it but did see the aftermath.

Can not begin to think how desperate you have to be to do something like this.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 22 Mar 2013 13:18

We know no details, but she must have been desperate to do this.

Mersey

Mersey Report 22 Mar 2013 13:21

Such desperation may she and baby rest in peace.....

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Mar 2013 13:43

so sad in every respect - a colleague of my son driving a high speed train saw a girl standing on the end of an upcoming platform - he guessed what she was about to do but could do nothing about it - she jumped, looking him straight in his face - and it happned to him once again - he managed to weather it all

a nephew of mine, also a train driver, killed a woman and child in a pushchair - he never returned to the railway

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2013 14:33

For some reason I thought Barry was in canada and he put Pulley which I didn't recognise. There could easily have been a Croydon in Canada. Not that it would have made any difference, just trying to establish where it was as not seen anything myself on the news. Horrendous wherever it was poor woman. And poor train driver.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 22 Mar 2013 14:48

God rest her soul and that of her poor baby, she must have been truly in despair.

Barry_

Barry_ Report 22 Mar 2013 14:50

I am, Ann, just to the east of Toronto, where it's minus 2 and a nippy wind with a smattering of overnight snow.

There is small place in Ontario called Croydon; not more than a crossraods, it seems.
Google Napanee, Ontario - it's to the west of Kingston, just by Hwy 401 - which is THE busiest road in North America (don't we know it!)

Go a few blocks north of Napanee and there is Croydon all on its lonesome, just below Tamworth, (which is natch in Ontario, not Staffordshire, just to clarify.)

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2013 15:14

Thought I didn't dream that. Thanks Barry.

Frederick

Frederick Report 22 Mar 2013 16:48

Full report Huffington Post.

Mother in her Thirties and boy aged Three.

F

Jean

Jean Report 23 Mar 2013 01:16

May she and her son r.i.p. I do hope in time her family forgive her for what she has done. My dear brother took his own life, so I know how angry and sad they must be feeling The question of why, we will never know. It has taken me many years to come to terms with what my brother did. My prayers and thoughts are with family and friends <3 <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Mar 2013 02:30

Heartbreaking. I know families who have lost loved ones through suicide but it is their choice to do it, the little boy didn't get a choice. I hope they will both rest in peace now.

I feel for the poor driver too, who will carry the knowledge of their deaths for the rest of his life.

Maybe something happening in her life scared her to drive her to this act, many people who are losing homes, losing benefit over bedroom tax etc etc must be really worried at the moment.

Lizx

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Mar 2013 10:18

This poor lady seemed a tortured soul , only from what I am reading she suffered severe depression and really struggled.

Severe depression and anxiety can do some terrible things emotionally and physically but I am so sad no-one could help her.

I have fully admitted before on here, I suffered terribley with depression to quite the extreme and its hard, I literally gave up living, it turns you into something you are not and its completley out of your control I did things I am not proud of and ashamed of too but I was so so lucky I got the help I needed thanks to my beautiful family....It was hard on my family what they had to see and also what they had to do to me in order to get me the help I needed and also someone who would listen.

After reading this story of this beautiful girl and her son and how she suffered it hurts because she could not fight as I did.

I wish her and her son peace and maybe hopefully someone can learn from this , know that there are people out there that are willing to listen, who want to care, who will forgive and who will give you/anyone the full support and hope for those who suffer this terrible illness.

Life is worth living, it may not seem it at the time but it is.......

So sorry for going on, just something I feel so strongly about...

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 23 Mar 2013 11:17

I was 8mths preganant and stood at a bus stop, across the road there was a tower block of flats with small swing park at the side, there was 3 children playing there I heard a women shout to them and then acouple of seconds later I though she had threw a bungle of clothes out of the window till I heard the thud, shocking experience.