General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mr George Lowe, Mount Everest, 1953

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 22 Mar 2013 19:08

Dear All

Hello

Mr George Lowe, the last surviving member of the team which first conquered Mount Everest in 1953 has died. He was 89 years old.

Mr Lowe was part of the team that helped Sir Edmund Hillary and
Tenzing Norgay to the summit in 1953.

In 1953 they conquered the 29,028 feet mountain, just days before the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

Speaking to the BBC in 1995, Mr Lowe said of his Antarctic adventure:

"We estimated we could do it in 100 days, and we got across on the 99th day.

"There was a great feeling of euphoria from everyone.

It had a multiplying effect"

A keen photographer, Mr Lowe made a documentary about the climb, which was nominated for an Academy Award.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Family friend Dr Lewis-Jones said:

"George Lowe was a brilliant, kind fellow who never sought the limelight
and 60 years on from Everest his achievements deserve wider recognition.

"He was involved in two of the most important explorations of the 20th Century... yet remained a humble, happy man right to the end..... an inspirational lesson to us all."

Rest in peace, Mr Lowe

Take gentle care all
Sincere wishes
Elizabeth
xx

Joeva

Joeva Report 22 Mar 2013 19:23

Apologies to George Rowe, as I can only remember Edmund Hilary from when I was a child and was taken by the school to see their conquest of Everest.

May he rest in peace.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 22 Mar 2013 19:28

Same as Joeva. But the Principal of Bangor University in late 60's was Dr Charles Evans. I think he was Surgeon with the Hilary-Tensing ascent and led another expedition 2 years later.

Unfortunately he had MS subsequently and I only remember him being wheeled round Bangor in his chair. But he remained Principal for many years despite his MS. What brave men they were :-)

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 22 Mar 2013 23:32

Dear Joeva and John Loves Cocoa

Hello

Thank you for your kind replies.

It is very sad when the sole living link to an historical event passes away.

I think youngsters today learn so much more when there is someone who can say via different forms of communication "I was there".

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth
xx

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 23 Mar 2013 01:01

Link to Sir Charles Evans

http://imagingeverest.rgs.org/Units/31.html