General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nurses or Healthcare Assistants?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Mar 2013 09:53

If has been reported that Nurses are being replaced by Healthcare Assistants, what is your thoughts on this?

The head of the Royal College of Nursing has warned of a major health risk to patients as it emerged that 5,000 nurses have left the NHS since the coalition government came to power, while nearly 6,000 lower-paid and less well-qualified healthcare assistants have been taken on since 2010. The figures fuelled fears that cheap labour is being sought to plug holes in services.

Earlier this month the Care Quality Commission announced that one in ten hospital services it had inspected were failing to meet the standard on adequate staffing levels. Figures published this week by the NHS Information Centre show that in December 2012 there were 4,887 fewer nurses working in the NHS than in May 2010.

New figures gleaned from freedom of information requests show that the number of "healthcare assistants" has risen by 5,926 in the same period. Peter Carter, chief executive of the RCN, which has 395,000 members, including both nurses and healthcare assistants, said the figures illustrated a growing problem with the NHS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/24/healthcare-assistants-replace-nurses

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Mar 2013 10:50

a bad move - a dreadful money-saving idea

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 24 Mar 2013 11:20

That news frighten's me!!! Was in hosp. a couple of years ago and an assistant nearly had me falling out of bed hours after getting a new knee because she had not checked if I had already been up on my feet and insisted I get up. opps!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 24 Mar 2013 13:07

If I'm honest my father had far better treatment from HCAs than he ever did from nurses.

You only have to read Dizzi's thread to realise that some nurses are total bitches.

GinN

GinN Report 24 Mar 2013 15:58

"Care" should be the operative word. If these Healthcare assistants can concentrate on looking after patients instead of being bogged down with administration and jobsworthiness as todays professional nurses appear to be, then this could be an improvement.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 24 Mar 2013 16:39

health cares have always done nurses jobs, and ive worked with health cares with degrees,to say that health carers are less qualified is not always correct, a band 4 healthcarer will be trained as good as a reg nurse used to be,but it seems very unfair that they are doing this kind of work for a much smaller salary ..as a nurse myself im all for healthcares doing nurses jobs,but they should be paid a better salary.
:-)