General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TAX REBATE/HAVE YOU EVER HAD ONE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 24 Mar 2013 23:47

Ive never had one in the 14yrs ive worked full time for the NHS

if you have had one, what did you spend it on :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Mar 2013 23:50

Yes got £92 back earlier this year. Helped to pay the bills.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 24 Mar 2013 23:53

god thats not much is it, when you take into account how much we pay,a little bit back once in a while would be nice :-D

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 24 Mar 2013 23:56

Yes ,only cos I was on 'emergency tax' when I started work and I bought one of those Instant Cameras, which would be in the archives now .
Crap camera ...long gone !!!

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 24 Mar 2013 23:59

my son was on emergency tax after changing jobs,it took 4yrs to get a rebate. :-(

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 24 Mar 2013 23:59

Once - having married in Oct 1956 I was the one who had to claim from the previous April and they paid up and sent the cheque to OH who was awarded the married man's allowance from October.

Boy, did I tick. Women did not just exist then. I got the money - think he dreaded earache!!!!

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 25 Mar 2013 00:05

hi chris how are you :-D

i really need a rebate just now,im wishing but its not coming :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Mar 2013 00:13

I did when I stopped working to go on Maternity leave. The money was spent on a Sewing Machine.

Jane

Jane Report 25 Mar 2013 07:19

I get one every year. I only work part time but have had two or three jobs at one time. The tax office cant get my tax split between the three of them properly so I always end up paying too much tax. I don't actually earn enough to pay tax. I have to write to them most years to claim it back.

Last year I sent in all my details and received a letter back asying that they think I have paid about the right amount of tax and if I want to dispute it then I had to send in all my details which I had done. Then 3 months later I got about £76.00 back .

I thought I read yesterday that in future they are going to automatically check everyone and then send them a bill or cheque accordingly so that we don't need to send in rebate forms.

I think the best Cheque I receved from them was for about £250. I cant remember what I spent it on but I am sure it was something nice.

Jane

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 25 Mar 2013 08:40

I do remember when this Coalition Government came to office that they discovered a glitch in tax computer and were planning to give substantial rebates to loads on PAYE.

Has gone very quiet since and wondering if I dreamt it. Certainly no longer holding my breath. Perhaps they are saving it till 6 months before 2015 election in vain hope we will vote for them again :-S :-S

They are a law unto themselves. The first year self employed that I began to make decent money, I earned £39k (in 1997/98) and then had a tax bill for £27k. It was then reduced to £15k on appeal and I had a few weeks to pay it. From then on, no matter how much I earned, I felt as if I was working for them and not for myself :-( :-( Last thing you want when building a business is a renegade tax office who sit on their butts and try every trick to milk you.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 25 Mar 2013 10:29

I had a nice tax refund when I went from full time to part time work in 2010.

;-)

vera2010

vera2010 Report 25 Mar 2013 11:16

Apart friom the old rebate if you married before the end of the tax year - do you remember them, I had a rebate 3 years running recently. It was a result of some house money I had invested for a period and obviously paid too much tax on the interest. It was for £90 approx and paid my car tax. Didn't get anything this year.

Vera

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 25 Mar 2013 15:37

Suzanne - thank you for asking - OK. Much the same. Would love to get out if only for 10 minutes - last time 5/6 Dec!!

Trouble is to get to car a longish walk down garden - cannot run - if it is pouring and can't go out in bitter weather - so I am
stuck.

At least we are not snowed in - none in the south.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 25 Mar 2013 21:37

send me you address Chris

ill come and get you and take you for a spin :-D

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 25 Mar 2013 21:43

I have a couple of small part time jobs, a private pension, and some bank interest. I seem to get a rebate most years, even though I don't earn enough to pay tax. They must be taking it off the interest somehow, though I believe I have registered as a non-taxpayer.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 25 Mar 2013 21:46

lucky you.

hope you spend it on some nice shoes :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 25 Mar 2013 23:20

That would be nice Suzanne - long drive south!!!!!

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 26 Mar 2013 15:41

I got a lovely rebate last year that I didn't think I was entitled to so I phoned to question it .After asking are you sure at least 4 times they insisted that I was due the rebate .

Less than 6 months later I got a letter saying I was due them tax and because I hadn't paid on time I was being fined !!!!!

Tried to fight it but gave up in the end . They just wear you down

Kathy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Mar 2013 16:10

Last time i had a tax rebate was in the 70's

When you had a child you got your tax back for that year i was lucky to have my son born just before the end of the tax year so got the full years tax back,

Cannot remember what OH spent it on but i no i never saw any of it :-(

Roy

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 26 Mar 2013 21:48

well it seems by looking though the posts that im not going to get a huge tax rebate in the near future then :-( :-(

never mind,it was a nice dream,and im sure my money is going to good use ;-)