General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Vatican...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry_

Barry_ Report 25 Mar 2013 15:03

Edit: 21 April 2013. On Page 2 I have added a link for a 'tour' of the Sistine Chapel.

The Vatican ... you have never seen before

...not only can you pan up and down and left and right with your cursor, there is a little “+” at the bottom left that allows you to zoom in on anything you wish.

It’s only when you see a person in the panorama that you understand the scale and size of this beautiful historic site.

The craftsmanship and artistry is beyond words...truly remarkable.

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_giovanni/vr_tour/index-en.html

The above text is exactly as just received from a pal.
Not really my cuppa - I had a quick look at a couple of places.
However, perhaps some of my fellow GR friends will enjoy these tours.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2013 15:50

thank you Barry. I love visiting Cathedrals etc to see the beautiful frescos and carvings. this was beautiful (viewing it purely for the building and carvings, it has no religious connotations for me). Well worth a look.

Barry_

Barry_ Report 25 Mar 2013 16:05

Thanks, Ann. I am so glad you enjoyed your 'trip'.

Believe me when I say that you and hubby must book a trip to Malta!
Tons of such places there to visit - and catacombs as well.
(I don't think they let you take pictures, however, if I recall correctly.)

Oh, I forgot to mention the magic 'S' word out there.

SUN! We could all do with that at the moment, methinks!

There's plenty of that in Malta, rest assured.
It's a long time since I've been there - very friendly English speaking locals way back in the 1970s.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2013 16:12

We've never been but my parents lived there for three years when first married (1934 - 37). Dad was stationed there with the RN, they loved it. Although Mum didn't love the sea journey to get there!!!

Cooper

Cooper Report 25 Mar 2013 16:31

Thankyou Barry for the link, i have seen outside on a whistle stop tour but never in.
I belong to the NT and English Heritage and enjoy looking at historic houses and buildings.

Teresa

Barry_

Barry_ Report 25 Mar 2013 16:45

You're most welcome, Teresa. I am glad you enjoyed it.

On a UK visit about six years ago Margaret and I visited the NT at Sissinghurst Gardens. We had a very enjoyable afternoon.

Cooper

Cooper Report 25 Mar 2013 17:30

We only joined the NT last year Barry so are working our way round the sites and houses. We are making a vist to Winston Churchills house Chartwell next week. Its the School Esater Hoildays and our youngest is learning about WW2 at school in History so I think it will be well worth a visit. We have been member of the English Heritage for years but still enjoy revisiting their houses and castles :-)

We will have to look out for Sissinghurst Gardens, Its on route to Dover Castle where we paln to visit later this year. Im glad you enjoyed your afternoon there.

Teresa

Barry_

Barry_ Report 25 Mar 2013 18:52

I hope you have an enjoyable visit to Chartwell, Teresa.

I have a little bragging to do about Mr. Churchill's home, so please indulge an old fella.

My Dad’s (first) cousin, Alfred Benjamin Barnes, 1879 - 1951, known as Benny Barnes, was a bricklayer. With his three sons he was at Chartwell from 1926 - 1928 building an extension to the home, I understand.
It was Benny who taught Mr. Churchill to lay bricks - and Winnie joined the union!

I am in contact with the daughter of one of Benny’s sons and she sent me copies of the Daily Telegraph and Daily Sketch dated September 1928 with a brief story about Mr. Churchill’s endeavour.

I tried to find information about Benny’s time working at Chartwell but without success. I don’t know if there is any further information or pictures of the work done at Chartwell. I should be interested to know.

Do enjoy your forthcoming day there. I hope you have a memorable time. There are many more NT places for you both to visit!

Barry

Cooper

Cooper Report 25 Mar 2013 19:34

Hi Barry,

I normally try and but the guide book of major places of interest so I will get one and see if there is any information and let you know one way or the other.

They often have info about building works in them, most of the old houses and castles as you probably know were "work in progess" :-)

Teresa

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 25 Mar 2013 21:56

The Vatican is very beautiful inside.
I'm not a Catholic (lots of my family are) but I was in awe and was thrilled we were allowed to take pictures. The craftsmanship everywhere is breathtaking.

Thanks Barry I'm going to have a look at your tour.. toodle pip

edit: Great views thanks again Barry must send the link to my Grandsons. When we were there we could walk down the staircase in Nave 1

Barry_

Barry_ Report 25 Mar 2013 22:19

So pleased you enjoyed the 'tour', Mo.

'Fraid I don't have any more up my sleeve!

Pippety toodles!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Mar 2013 22:21

Its breathtaking.

Wend

Wend Report 25 Mar 2013 22:34

That's the only word for it Kay and thankyou Barry for putting up the link. I hope that one day I shall be able to see it with my own eyes. My husband and I honeymooned in Rome and tossed our coins in the Trevi Fountain, so it is possible. :-)

Barry_

Barry_ Report 25 Mar 2013 22:39

You're most welcome, Wend. Did your wishes come true?

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 25 Mar 2013 22:39

Just had a look......fantastic.

Been to Rome on a day trip, too much to see in a day. Would like to see the Vatican though.

Wend

Wend Report 25 Mar 2013 22:41

Well, Barry, they say that if you toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain you will make a return visit one day . . . :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 25 Mar 2013 22:43

...............to get your money back........... :-D

Wend

Wend Report 25 Mar 2013 23:22

How flippant :-P

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 25 Mar 2013 23:37

Wonder where all that money goes ?

:-P back at her.

Merlin

Merlin Report 26 Mar 2013 14:06

It was Flippant Mr. magoo. :-D Wend spent a lot of time swimming in there trying to get those few coins back :-D While Frank Sinatra seranaded her. ;-) ;-) singing "Three Coins In a Fountain" Little did he know that Wend had got them back. :-D :-D :-D :-D