General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Work-shy.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Mar 2013 12:06

A recent revelation caught my eye which highlighted the fact that nearly four million able-bodied Britons have never had a job - in many cases from cradle to grave. Of these, twenty-five percent are young.

Just wondered why this farcical situation is not receiving more attention?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Mar 2013 12:28

It beggars belief that this has been allowed to happen. And now it has become the 'norm' in some families so there is no shame attached to it.

I don't mean that those who haven't got a job should be ashamed but those who have never bothered to look for work, never wanted to work, never been encouraged to work should be.

And maybe those who have outsourced the jobs that our citizens could do to countries where the cost is lower should also be ashamed because they have contributed to the lack of jobs in this country.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2013 12:47

most of those 4 million have learning difficulties

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Mar 2013 12:57

Many will also be living in very deprived areas where there are just no jobs.

And now London councils want to add to their misery by sending our homeless there.

It is a sign of the times. Also safe to assume that many of those 4 million are actively looking for work but just cannot find it.

Do not know what it is like elsewhere, but in London you can get 25+ applicants for every job. And the employers can be very choosy. Looking at Sainsburys last week and they have a criteria that you must live within 3 miles of the store advertising the jobs.

Personally I would hate to be young or unemployed (or both) today. It must be really hard.

Merlin

Merlin Report 28 Mar 2013 13:02

Yet they insist that people will have to work longer to get their pension,much better to let people retire early and employ the youngsters(Who will work for longer) plus encourage Apprenticeships(Proper Ones) so they can learn. to do the work offered.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Mar 2013 13:04

Yes it must be hard. and they closed the places that gave those with learning difficulties a chance to work as well.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2013 13:43

we uesd to have a factory for blind people
they made baskets and coat hanger

but not no more :-( :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Mar 2013 13:43

I met a number of people with 'learning difficulties' claiming they needed assistance in completing their returns when I was a Census Collector in 2011. Of those around 20% clearly deserved all the help and support they could get.

The only 'learning difficulty' the others appeared to have was an aversion to get out and and find a job. On going through the census questions it was apparent that many had received a decent education and training in a trade. Some even admitted privately they would have no problem getting work if they tried but they didn't want to.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2013 13:59

we also had a garden centre
run by people with mental health issues

thats gone now to :-( :-(

GinN

GinN Report 28 Mar 2013 15:53

Joy - I remember the factory for blind people, as we used to live in Stockton and OH worked in Middlesborough. We bought a number of things from them, and I'm sorry that it's no longer there. :-(

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 28 Mar 2013 16:54

Call me cynical ...but many of those 'who had not worked from cradle to the grave', and who openly boast they haven't worked ...some of them and many have done so !
(But not legally.)

Albeit at their convenience and 'on the side' for 'cash in hand' received benefits and not declared they are working.

I have worked for the DWP and knew people who were claiming benefits and working and I have reported them.
In the small village where my dad lived people who were on benefits bragged about working, he reported them too.
They were being paid benefits out of mine and his taxes and and anyone else who is taxed thro work or a pension.
I have no compunction about doing so.

It is very sad that there are so many people genuinely seeking work ,can't get it ,and won't / don't 'fiddle' the system who are the losers :-|
The system is also so flawed that many people are better off claiming benefits rather than working !!!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2013 17:11

Having 'learning difficulties' should not exclude anyone from work,

We accept that disabled people have the right to work and lots of them do,

Having learning difficulties is no excuse, Not everyone can have the job of their dreams.

Horses for courses

I had a brother who never worked a day in his life and used every excuse in the book from a bad back to manic depression and in later life learning difficulties He was in the highest group at school and very academic but bone idle and happy to draw and live on benefits and he spent all day every day in the pub, He died 2 years ago from smoking and drinking related health issues

Roy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Mar 2013 17:16

What a sad life Roy but are you sure he didn't actually have manic depression (Bipolar)?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2013 17:36

Ann, Don't start me on manic depression (Bipolar)

the new excuse for not going to work, I can tell you about several people i no who have never worked for all sorts of reasons and then when searching the Internet for more excuses used that old chestnut Bipolar for an excuse,

Do you no what Bipolar actually is? Spike Milligan and Bill Oddie are sufferers of (Bipolar) and it never confined them to a life on benefits

Roy

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 28 Mar 2013 18:07

..............."A recent revelation caught my eye which highlighted the fact that nearly four million able-bodied Britons have never had a job - in many cases from cradle to grave. Of these, twenty-five percent are young"............

I just wonder how they manage it??

When my hubby ended up on long term sick having been medically retired from his work, whilst still under the hospital consultant, & the benefits department having being told by their OWN (dss) doctor that hubby had a life threatening problem & NOT fit to work ever again,they STILL called him in for several medicals to see if his health had improved!!
They even called him in for a medical when just 4 months off his 65th birthday,even though when he reached 65 he would no longer be entitled to claim Incapacity benefit, a benefit that he had contributed to all his working life as well!

They were never off our backs

Joan.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Mar 2013 18:15

I know exactly what Bi-polar is and it isn't an old chestnut to those who suffer from it.

Some are lucky in that they respond well to the drugs prescribed, others struggle all their lives. Many are able to work but some cannot.

Spike and Bill were lucky in that they were self-employed and very talented, so could take "time out" when they needed to get back on an even keel and afford private medical care. Most sufferers aren't that fortunate. And many struggle from day to day.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2013 18:37

Guinevere, I'm not saying that their aren't genuine cases of (Bipolar) sufferers who cannot work, My point was that people are using the Internet to search for illnesses that are in some cases hard to "disprove" in order to carry on claiming benefits and (Bipolar) appears to be a favorite for such spurious claims,

I don't begrudge any genuine claim made for benefits but their are far to many claiming that should be working which now leaves the genuine claimants having a very hard time proving their case and the reductions in benifits due to the past failures of the benefits agency to get a grip with those who could work

Roy

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Mar 2013 18:45

There are illnesses much easier to fake that than, Roy. And the drugs sufferers take have unpleasant side effects.

Much easier to fake something physical. I understand "bad backs" are the favourite because it cannot be disproved.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 28 Mar 2013 18:48

Whilst I agree that having learning difficulties doesn't exclude you from working, in the current work climate it must make it even harder to get a job.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2013 18:48

Bad backs can now be proved, That why my brother had to find another excuse in order for him to continue claiming benefits

see my earlier post 17:11

I no a lady claiming to be Bipolar who collects her medication and it goes straight into file 13 She also claimed using the bad back excuse for years

Roy