General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have had tele sales every

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 28 Mar 2013 13:54

day this week. When I announce 'I will have to check with landlord' - the phone goes down. Rarely do they say 'goodby'!!!

Have warned OH to do the same instead of his usual 'am not interested, thank you'.

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Mar 2013 14:14

It's cold enough at the moment without 'Cold Callers' adding to the misery.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2013 14:23

Are you registered with TPS?

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Mar 2013 14:26

I have had three calls trying to sell me a device that stops cold callers.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Mar 2013 15:23

The only problem with TPS is it does not stop international calls not those from people you are already dealing with.

For instance I am registered with TPS (have been for years) and had a BT phone line and without fail about once a fortnight at teatime I would get a phone call from BT sales. I told them I was with TPS to stop nuisance calls and now the only nuisance calls I was getting were from them. Eventually got so fed up changed provider and am now all Skyed up.

To be honest I when I do get cold calls I just hang up once I realise what is going on.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2013 15:34

Of course it doesn't stop calls from people you are already dealing with - those are not cold calls!
If you are already dealing with them but no longer wish them to call you then just say so.
If it is an international call then ignore it - it is just the same as spam and if you answer the call it merely confirms that your number is "live".
Damn nuisance.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Mar 2013 16:43

We just let ours go to the answer phone when they soon ring off.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Mar 2013 19:16

don't hang up on them - just leave the phone on the side - they can't make any more calls then and it costs them

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Mar 2013 19:35

I have had 3 calls in the 10 days from the same company.
The number is not withheld as it appears on caller display.

These companies buy the information, so I assume they think it's up to date.
However
It's 10yrs since I sold the property in question.
They still get through to me because I retained the telephone number.

I have told them every time that their recently acquired list is at least 10 years out of date but they just don't get it!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 28 Mar 2013 21:57

Signed on TPS many years ago - just last year I was getting so many I thought my registration had been lost. However when I tried to enrol - told these details already registered.

This weeks lot have all had to do with energy saving.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Mar 2013 23:15

Chris if you are still getting calls, inform the caller that you are registered with TPS. If they persist then report them. They are breaking the law and can be fined huge amounts.

You may find this useful...

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/unsolicited_sales_calls

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Mar 2013 09:51

There a "Do Not Call" register in Oz

I found out last week that when you register, your name is there for six years.; I thought it was forever.

Yes, I got unwanted 'phone calls. Grrrrrrrrrr!

I have since re-registered :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Mar 2013 10:07

Some of these cold callers are not exactly breaking TPS rules.
At some point, many of us have inadvertantly given authority.

Often, they are in the form of questionnaires filed out as competition entries on flights or on other types of so called "Market Research"

By signing the form/ free draw entry, we have unknowingly given authority to be contacted by anyone that our details are sold on to.