General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where in the world are you looking in from.......

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 3 Apr 2013 10:26

Edge of a town in Sussex that has the longest run of tudor buildings in the country.

Fields only one road away from my house and I have a fantastic view of the church, up the hill, from my front windows.

I was born in Clapham (South London), moved to Croydon when I was fifteen and then here when I was in my 30s.

I wouldn't move back 'north' but I don't mind visiting :-)

Chris

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Apr 2013 10:10

Hayley, wow you descibed exactly where i live dont you know. However the bus runs every two hours, every day now lol

I can see the sea from every window and walk down to the shore in 10 minutes. On a good clear day, I can see the mountains on the mainland and yesterday they were clearly covered in snow on the peaks.very pretty to see with the sun shining across.

Lynda, no I dont do b & b but I know a man who does. lol If you were coming this way, let me know I can give you some places to stay etc if you want.

Having lived here for 20 years now, i could never go back to a city or town. Too noisy and Its so safe up here especially for children.

Havent been around for a while but trying to catch up a bit on here. Seeing some new faces i dont recognize.

Florence in the hebrides. :-)

Jean

Jean Report 2 Apr 2013 01:48

close to Manchester Airport

OllietheOwl

OllietheOwl Report 1 Apr 2013 23:57

Empress Hayley. Do the planes land in your back garden as well.
I quite often sit in ours and wave to the people on the plane. Runway 2 is only about 5 mins away from us. ;-)

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 1 Apr 2013 21:28

I live in a small beautiful village west of Colchester.

Have lived in St Peter Jersey, Jersey rugby club on a Sunday night you can't beat it. :-D ;-)

Good luck to your son Linda, lucky him.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Apr 2013 21:27

Large town in hertfordshire, moved here just before I got married.

We live on the edge of town so not too far from more rural bits

<3

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 1 Apr 2013 21:21

I flew to Jersey a few years back with my friend, we have a girly holiday once a year, as soon as we in the air, we were served tea, and just as we finished the tea. we were descending, so much better than a long haul :-D

We stayed in St Hellier, and used to get the bus wherever we wanted to go, and if we couldn't work the bus times out when we were outside St Hellier, we'd ge the bus back in and start again :-D We felt very safe there, walking across a park, after midnight, with no problem. It's a place I'd recommend.

Funnily enough, my son has won a contract in Jersey, and is off this month to work, can you keep an eye on him please Pam :-D

McB

McB Report 1 Apr 2013 21:17

High in the leafy chiltern hills

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Apr 2013 21:12

Pamela. Noticed Pontypridd Rugby Football Club are playing Jersey on Friday this week. Saw it on sign as I drove past today. Know I am off thread, but just seemed a coincidence. What a lovely place to live. Bon nuit :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Apr 2013 21:11

I love the Channel Islands - 54 years ago this month I was on my honeymoon in the Merton Hotel near the Howard Davies Park - full of camellias it was - have also stayed in Torteval in Guernsey - another lovely place but far too expensive to holiday these days - visited Sark - a beautiful place

Pamela

Pamela Report 1 Apr 2013 21:02

Jersey, Channel Islands only 9 miles by 5miles, so only few minutes away from sea in any direction but live in sight and sound of the airport! Come from a large family and only ever 30 minutes tops away from any family member which is great. Airport on one side of me but open fields and valleys on other sides.
Pam

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 1 Apr 2013 20:43

Joan, that is what's great about the internet, there's you in a remote cottage, but you can be chatting to someone who lives in the middle of the City, or on a tropical Island, but are all "in the same place" when chatting.

Your cottage sounds idylic :-D

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 1 Apr 2013 20:27

Aberdeenshire, approx 35 miles north of Aberdeen.

Rural area (remote when it snows!) typical Scottish granite built cottage all on its own at the end of a very long unmade road (rough track) at the top of a hill, built around 1800 (or earlier) & it shows, lol, it comes with 1/2 an acre of garden,much of the outer perimeter we have planted trees,we are surrounded by fields with a wood at the bottom of the house road.

No passing people or traffic, but we have lot's of birdlife around us,& other various wildlife that regularly passes by. Love it.

There are a couple of cottages in the distance & beyond them is a farm.
We are about 6 miles from our nearest coastal town, very small place,nearest large city is Aberdeen.

Joan.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 1 Apr 2013 20:21

Wherever I have lived I have always had a view of a church, I think I'd miss it, if I didn't have a church in my view now.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 1 Apr 2013 20:08

Scotland's 1st and largest New Town.
Like everyone else, my family/ OH's family moved here in the 1950's.
Once I started in Family History, I discovered that this is exactly where OH's family originate..... over 150yrs before.
My own ancestors lived in a neighbouring Parish, just 5 miles away
Both towns were little villages back then.

Paula+

Paula+ Report 1 Apr 2013 19:54

Ten minutes from Birmingham City centre and ten minutes in the opposite direction lovely countryside, best of both worlds in my opinion.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Apr 2013 19:26

I live on the edge of a coastal town about 20 minutes from Channel Tunnel.

We have the sea and beautiful countryside nearby. Walked for 6 miles earlier today enjoying the fields and country lanes and watching newborn lambs with their mums.

Gwyn

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Apr 2013 14:10

We had a lot of smallholdings in the village.It was one of the Land Settlement Association Estates with the packing shed just up the road and giving summer work to most who wanted it.Everybody's mum was there in the tomato season and then we were in the holidays, either being looked after by one of the mums or working ourselves.

The LSA was a quango and was disbanded about thirty years ago. Some of the growers struggled ontrying to keep the packhouse running and all the other things but it never did work like it had before so the smallholdings were sold to people for different things.

What I have noticed over recent years is the hedges. It used to be that we knew eachother,chidren came out of the different houses along the road to walk to school together and they were often cousins too, so we all had low hedges and walls that you coud see over and wave.

Then the smallholdings were sold and the hedges went up high with big tall gate to hide themselves behind. It is like walking beside a very high wall,a prison wall even, when you walk down my road now. It is dull and lonely,quite intimidating really.

GinN

GinN Report 1 Apr 2013 14:10

Muffy, looks like you live not far from me, think I'm about 12 miles to the South South East!
Lynda x

Merlin

Merlin Report 1 Apr 2013 13:47

Small Town within 4/5max.mins from the Channel Coast.Nice Quiet place and can see the Channel from most windows.At the moment the sun is shining but there is a very nasty cold wind blowing,however the birds are bathing and feeding,very pleasant watching them,almost queueing to take their turn,I suppose thats Pecking Order. :-D