General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Multiple marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debra

Debra Report 1 Apr 2013 10:28

It is some time since I did any work on my tree so haven't been into GR fo a while.

Yesterday tried to help a friend with a new tree that she has created on GR, there are a number of ancestors who remarry.

When we create the first marriage and add the children all is ok, when we add the second husband and the children from that marriage a duplicate record is created for the wife and the second marriage and the descendants sit alongside the tree but not attached to the actual tree. Therefore it is not instantly clear of the second marriage and that there are half brothers and sisters.

Have GR changes the way they record second marriages and their families?

Thanks
Debra

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 1 Apr 2013 11:28

Not too sure

But when I have had multiple marriages and children from them I always add all children from any marriage to the mother.

So I have a woman with an illegitimate son, he is attached to her, she marries and has 3 more children they too are attached to her. She dies husband remarries, his 2nd wife has 2 children from previous relationship they are attached to her, with her new husband she has a further 3 sons they too are attached to her.

As you can see this was a complicated branch of my family but by adding the children to the appropriate mother I never had any problems.

Hope this helps

Debra

Debra Report 1 Apr 2013 11:56

Hi PigletsPal

I would normally do as you have said myself, but what we have also found is that once we have added the second husband if we find any more children that belong to the first marriage and we try adding them via the mother and choosing the first husband as the father it will not save, the only way we have been able to add them is via the father and choosing the mother. We don't have the same problem with children of the second marriage which leads me to believe GR have done something to the input screens (have raised a query directly with GR but am awaiting their response).

Debra

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 1 Apr 2013 16:32

I would then suggest that you get a pen and paper and write it all down
then delete everything that is wrong
and start again

I have had to do this in the past, a bit of a pain but well worth the effort.

I learnt the hard way to write it all down, verify and then add

No longer keep a tree on here as this is where I had my problems, but on another site (which I am not allow to mention as GR have threatened to remove my membership) I have no problems with my Ancestors ( :-D)