General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who do you think you are ?

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Apr 2013 21:32

Thank you Rose for understanding what I was trying to say.
John why are you listing people but only drawing attention to one - slightly unfair don't you think?
However, yes dead stars would be interesting

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Apr 2013 21:33

Vera Atkins

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 1 Apr 2013 21:38

Colin Firth x

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Apr 2013 21:40

Rose. I heard yesterday that Wilde had a family. I was not sure I had imagined it. Thanks for thread - just shows how little I know about a lot, I suppose :-(

Not sure who I was drawing attention to, Errol? If AA, I simply said he was on my tree (not a direct ancestor - very very distant). I was just giving examples, and felt Arthur would not be of huge interest.

GHeather

GHeather Report 1 Apr 2013 23:35

Great lot of interesting replies, I enjoyed reading them ALL, thanks!

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 2 Apr 2013 00:23

Laurel and Hardy..........Stan's father,Arthur Jefferson,whose family lived in North Shields in the early 1900s, was manager of local theatre where my grandparents acted onstage.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Apr 2013 00:57

David Attenborough should be interesting

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 2 Apr 2013 08:51

Mau. Always thought of Stan as Ulverston on Furness :-S

Certainly his accent was from that area. I loved something I read about his final moments when he was obviously sinking fast:

"Just minutes away from death, Laurel told his nurse he would not mind going skiing right at that very moment. Somewhat taken aback, the nurse replied that she was not aware that he was a skier. "I'm not," said Laurel, "I'd rather be doing that than this!" A few minutes later the nurse looked in on him again and found that he had died quietly in his armchair"

Yes, he would be a brilliant subject for WDYTYA :-D

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 2 Apr 2013 10:09

Simon Callow (if that's his real name) as it may provide a clue as to where mine came from :-D. And I like him.

GHeather

GHeather Report 2 Apr 2013 11:50

Richard Dawkins would also be interesting.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 2 Apr 2013 12:53

yes John you're quite right Stan was born in Ulverston,Cumbria.

But he lived most of his early years in North Shields in the borough of Tynemouth where he went to school. His father had many theatres locally and it was at one of these that my grandparents, travelling stock company actors,appeared onstage.
Stan thought of himself as a Geordie and would sign letters to his friends as Hinny (an affectionate term) :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Apr 2013 13:11

Oscar Wilde was married to Constance and they had 2 children, both Oscar and Constance came from wealthy Irish families.

He was not a Homosexual but more likely Bi-sexual, hence the marriage with 2 children.

And he was not a Paedophile but a Pederast, ie he liked younger men.

And his grandson or greatgrandson is in the media cannot remember his full name but his surname is Holland.

For my exams in school before I left we had to do a project on someone famous and I chose Oscar Wilde. This was in 1969. He was a fascinating man to look into and his writings are amazing.

The words in my 'research' at bottom are Oscar Wildes. One of many excellent quotes. Another favourite of his was made at US customs 'I have nothing to declare except my genius' :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 2 Apr 2013 14:45

Interesting PigletsPal, thanks for sharing your info. :-D