General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Labrynth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Apr 2013 22:05

I can't see a thread on this. Did anyone watch it? I have just watched the first part. I have read the book, if I hadn't I wonder if I would have a clue what was going on. Well acted and good settings but they seem to have made it too long.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Apr 2013 22:11

I did Ann, felt it was overproduced and rather too messy.

It was ok but a mish mash of an awful lot of other novels. :-(

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 2 Apr 2013 22:12

I haven't read the book and only got through a little of it before I lost interest but my OH watched both parts and enjoyed it.

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Apr 2013 22:15

Ive taped it Ann....but might give it a miss if I am honest

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Apr 2013 22:29

Loved the book but if you haven't read it you might find it a bit muddled.

KenSE

KenSE Report 2 Apr 2013 22:31

Yes I saw it and enjoyed it and yes, I understood what was going on even though I haven't read the book.

It was a bit like a combination of The Da Vinci Code and Timeline with added gore and sex.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 2 Apr 2013 22:49

I found the violence too much to take....am getting a tad precious in me old age! :-D

KenSE

KenSE Report 3 Apr 2013 09:35

I accept that the burning was a necessary part of the plot but there did seem to be a lot of unneccessary violence particularly in the 21st century.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Apr 2013 09:54

I have only watched the first part so far but I have to say I don't remember the violence being as bad in the book. (I haven't still go the book for reference as I borrowed it from my daughter).I think probably, it is more graphic on film than when you read it. Hated the burning bit.

Chrissie

Chrissie Report 3 Apr 2013 10:15

I watched it and found it a bit too violent for my tastes but I am a bit soft. I sky plussed it so could fast forward those bits. Otherwise I quite enjoyed it

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Apr 2013 12:06

Hated the book in general

To me it was basically 2 books 1 past & 1 present rolled into 1 and this made it so tedious.

And Kate comes across as a really lovely person on screen in interviews.

GinN

GinN Report 3 Apr 2013 12:10

I've read the book twice, the second time was when I visited Carcassone - wonderful place. I've only watched the first half so far, though fell asleep in the middle bit. Not sure whether to bother watching the rest, prefer the book!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Apr 2013 12:39

The book's better.

The TV version glossed over much of the 'tension' portrayed in the book.
I had trouble hearing some of the dialogue even though the volume was up at our normal level.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Apr 2013 13:25

:-D I had sub titles on because I have hearing problems so maybe that was just as well. I hate it when the speech 'dips' and you lose track. So far I prefer the book, but I usually do because there is nothing like seeing the story in your imagination.

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 3 Apr 2013 13:51

I loved the book and the 2nd part of the "mini series" it was much better than the 1st part

I agree with KenSE - cross between the two & reminded me of timeline film too.

I still pref the book more imagination - did find it fun trying to remember where I had seen the main actors from

I must admit the "2012" Alice wasn't very convincing - not that good an actress compared to the others - took me ages to work out where I had see the husband of the 12thC Alaise from. Emun Elliott - he was good

Thought Tom Felton was good - what a change from Draco - shows he is a good actor too.

KenSE

KenSE Report 3 Apr 2013 14:15

It was a nice touch having Kate Mosse as the tour guide.