General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should the UK keep it's nuclear deterrent ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Apr 2013 10:04

In view of the fact that the UK is a member of NATO and has the US and France as allies, my question is does the UK need it's own independent nuclear deterrent ?

The UK would be "foolish" to abandon Trident in the face of the potential threat of nuclear attack from North Korea and Iran, David Cameron has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22023184

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Apr 2013 11:02

Definately!!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Apr 2013 11:05

Yes,

Roy

lilybids

lilybids Report 4 Apr 2013 11:06

Of course we should

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 4 Apr 2013 11:18

Absolutely yes.

Merlin

Merlin Report 4 Apr 2013 13:34

No Question ,Yes,

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 4 Apr 2013 13:43

Too true

GinN

GinN Report 4 Apr 2013 13:49

While there are any other countries holding it, it's got to be - definitely, yes!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2013 14:01

Yes

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Apr 2013 14:11

I agree with the need for a nuclear deterrent so I am not advocating that there should not be one, just questioning whether a shared nuclear deterrent would not provide adequate protection, and if not why not.

Gordon Brown rejected sharing with France, however in the latter part of 2010 this idea raised it's head again when David David Cameron discussed the issue during talks with Nicolas Sarkozy.

Julia

Julia Report 4 Apr 2013 14:17

Yes, we should keep our own, for the very obvious reasons.

Also, it would put my best friend's son out of work.

Julia in Derbyshire

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 4 Apr 2013 15:54

We must always be prepared for the worst and defend ourselves accordingly.
Therefore the answer has got to be yes.

GP

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Apr 2013 16:07

The obvious problem with a shared deterrent is being able to relie on another country to support what may not be a shared cause or view

Roy

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 4 Apr 2013 16:09

This country should always maintain its own nuclear deterrent independently. We should never have to rely on America, and certainly not France, for protection from any aggressor.

Tec

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 4 Apr 2013 16:22

101% YES... and with even MORE improvements to our military defense system.

I want more and more protection for our children and their children's children etc,

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Apr 2013 17:39

Just imagine a rogue State wanted to sling a missile our way.
We would need the permission of (say) France to sling one back or to ask them to do it for us.
The purpose of deterence is to let a potential aggressor know that we can sling one back ourselves and therefore put them off the idea before it happens.
There are some pretty silly people out there with or developing their own toys: it's not the time to drop our guard.
The danger is greater than at any time since the Cuban stand-off during the Cold War.
A nuclear free World is a great aim but not until civilisation has spread all over.