General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who do these Londoners think they are?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 19:09

This is absolutely risible...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22027322

Methinks that certain Londoners are getting worried about losing culture etc (such as the BBC) to places that are more deserving.

It is about time that Londoners realise they are not the centre of the universe and live in a pretty horrid place

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 4 Apr 2013 19:19

While the claim that Croydon could viably call itself the Lake District as it has two lakes might be a bit silly, I don't see that a VERY small group of 'Londoners' is representative of Londoners as a whole?

I love London, I don't agree it is a horrid place...parts of it are, Croydon wouldn't be my destination of choice but it doesn't represent the whole.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 Apr 2013 19:20

Didn't understand the point of that, was the piece written by a 10 year old?

I have absolutely zero interest as it seems to be a '15 minutes of fame' jobbie :-S

ChAoTicintheNewYear

ChAoTicintheNewYear Report 4 Apr 2013 19:22

Errol it's 4 people out of over 8 million. I really couldn't get worked up over it or judge the rest of those who live in London either.

Joeva

Joeva Report 4 Apr 2013 19:22

Bah Bah ErrolSheep

This Londoner knows we are the cultural centre, not the centre of the universe of course, but certainly not a horrid place to live ! :-P

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 19:25

I didn't actually say that it was ALL Londoners lol

My post was meant in the same way in which the "article" was written

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 4 Apr 2013 19:26

from the original article in the Telegraph

"Mr Bone acknowledged that the letter had been sent to Cumbria Tourism “with a wry smile” in a bid to attract more visitors.
The SNTB was formed by three friends in a pub last year, with the aim of organising a series of walks and talks around the area.
They want the South Norwood Lake renamed the Conan Doyle Lake after the Sherlock Holmes author who reputedly used to play cricket by the lake between 1891 and 1894."

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 19:36

I think I would much prefer the genuine "lakes" to London (and particularly that part of London) any day but yes - it seems like a 15 minutes scenario

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 4 Apr 2013 19:49

I have heard worse suggestions by groups of people in pubs :-(

And I am sure any attempt to make Croydon more appealing would mean they have their work cut out, but then I'm N London so biased :-P

I cant agree that London is horrid, my heart will always be here but do sometimes wish to be elsewhere :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 19:51

Lolly I have very strong ties to London but cannot help feeling that it has largely become a horrid place - central London and tourist attractions are ok but once you get out of the cash attracting areas certain parts are pretty horrid

Chrissie

Chrissie Report 4 Apr 2013 19:57

I was born and brought up in London and I think it's the greatest city in the world with the greatest variety of culture there is from its pubs and parks to its galleries and great buildings and everything in between. It's full of the world, past and present and I love it even though I no longer live there. Very silly to blame Londoners for a few jokers from Surrey!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 20:00

I don't think anyone blamed them.
My original post said who do THESE Londoners think they are

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 4 Apr 2013 20:03

Strangely Errol it is the exact opposite for me It is the cash attracting areas...Oxford St, tourist haunts that I loathe the most.

Coming into London especially from the South is pretty soul destroying with run down areas and it always goes through my mind what on earth do visitors think when they see the run down shopping precincts and shuttered shops

Same in parts of North London but overall we have some lovely open spaces and tree lined streets which is not the norm for most major citys

Joeva

Joeva Report 4 Apr 2013 20:06

Bah Bah again Errol !

You have used the 'horrid' word again !

Please explain the areas of London that you consider are not the 'cash attracting areas' :-S

Believe you me I could point to you many places of interest that are free in London, not the usual 'central and tourist attractions'.

Whatever your ties are with London you obviously really don't know much about this city. :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2013 20:40

The fact that London contributes around 70% of our gross GDP might explain why Londoners are the centre of our universe.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 20:53

what is wrong with the word horrid?
Come on - some parts are pretty horrid.
I agree Inspector but that is slowly changing as we see new emerging areas such as Manchester which have attracted massive inward investment.
However, this was intended to be a lighthearted thread based on the ludicrous statemenst made on the link in the original post and not a debate about whether London "is good" lol

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 4 Apr 2013 20:56

Well said Jo :-D

I spend many a day in London going places, and the only thing I need to use money for is my food, and I suppose if I took a packed lunch, I wouldn't need to get my purse out :-D

The wonderful museums, and art galleries are FREE, Covent Garden has entertainment all day, that's FREE, smaller historical churches are FREE to go in, and often have something going on. There are also a lot of concerts that are FREE, and of course just wandering around, to see the sights, and buildings is FREE

There are lots of sites telling you what's going on any particular day, all FREE

I often get a Travelodge for £20.00 if I want to stay the night.

I don't know any other place that is nearby that has so many events going on that are all FREE. :-D

And as a big bonus there's also those lovely Londoners, who are salt of the earth :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 21:02

Lynda I could not agree more but get away from the sights and sites and there are some pretty awful places - like many cities

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2013 22:10

Yes, there are pretty awful places, been there seen them have the tee-shirt, to boot, but fact is London contributes around 70% of our gross GDP. and Manchester's contribution is?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Apr 2013 22:20

to say that London contributes 70 per cent of the GDP is slightly misleading.
Companies based in London may well contribute such a figure but that is purely because head offices have traditionally been based there. Is that sum actually and genuinely totally generated in London? I would doubt that because it does not have the manufacturing or production base.