General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Your family research...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 5 Apr 2013 17:52

What was the main thing that got you interested in finding out about your family tree ?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Apr 2013 19:33

Seeing part of an obituary folded in a very old picture frame at my grans house. From what I remember I saw 'Death of Heav.......Man in Engl......
She let me take it out of the frame. It was an obituary of a man called Henry Floyd, apparently the heaviest man in England (at the time), who died in Romsey in 1842, weighting 32 stone.
He was so big they had to knock out the wall beneath the bedroom window and lower his coffin down to the ground. The report even gave the measurements of the coffin - it was nearly 7 ft long.

Floyd wasn't a known family name, but gran said it was 'something to do with grandad's family'. Grandad died a few weeks before I was born, so I felt duty bound to find out who this Henry Floyd was, and whether/how he was related.

He was my 4 x great grandfather :-D

Many years later, another ancestor, living in Canada sent me a photo of a picture of him

Pamela

Pamela Report 5 Apr 2013 19:43

My interest began after my Father died. He always said he was an only child (his mother died when he was three) but when I went through some old papers of his father's which he had kept, I found that his mother had had another child before she had married my grandfather. Unfortunately we will never know if my father knew he had a half brother as this person went or was sent to Australia in the late thirties as a teenager and died out there.

Pam

Fiona

Fiona Report 5 Apr 2013 19:44

My Mother passed away in 1999 on New Years Eve, we had to wait a whole week before we could have her funeral, so during that time I visited the cemetery where we were going to bury her, near to her mother, sister. and other relatives of my mother's.
It got me thinking about these ancestors of mine, and when I went home , I went up to the loft in mum's house and found some old photo's of my ancestors that an aunt had given my mum,
Later after her funeral I joined a local Family History Society, I'm still a member now,
have enjoyed every minute of researching but wished I had started when mum was alive, still have questions to be answered.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Apr 2013 20:02

To find out why my mum was put in an orphanage and where her mother went, and boy did I find out a lot, more than Mum ever knew (or told us)

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 5 Apr 2013 20:15

Having moved to london from sydney and my dad is a £10 pom from the 50's from gateshead.... i realised i must have family over in england.... wow i do have lots.. a distant cousin and i will catch up soon.. i cant wait.... :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Apr 2013 17:30

Thanks for ALL the interesting replies, brill! :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Apr 2013 17:32

My interest started after watching: "Who do you think you are?" I think a lot of people became very interested after watching it too. Family research is still going strong... people love it! :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 Apr 2013 17:35

Curiosity about my real paternal Grandad who I knew existed but not his proper name. My Aunt gave me a clue to his name and his new family.which was only partially right and I searched for almost a year before I confirmed his identity. When I did I have been blessed with being on contact with my late Dad's half brother and sister.

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Apr 2013 17:38

LaGooner, the Stocker surname is linked my family through the Smith family.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 Apr 2013 17:53

Are your Stockers from Bedfordshire like mine ? Also were your Smiths married into the Albones

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Apr 2013 23:25

I think my Stockers linked to the Smith family came from London, but not 100% at this moment in time.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 Apr 2013 23:31

If you find any in Bedfordshire let me know I have loads about them

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Apr 2013 23:44

I arrived in Australia with my parents when I was only little. We had no relatives here and no one joined us in later years.

My father often spoke of his family and he knew the names of his parents, grandparents and all his aunts and uncles.

I became really interested about 10 years ago and started searching - it was difficult doing it from Australia but I perservered. I have now walked in my ancestors' footsteps and visited their graves. I also found a second cousin who I had the pleasure of meeting on one of our trips to the UK. Sadly he passed before we could meet again but we kept in contact up until he died.

I brought my father and uncle back together after 14 years of estrangement. That meant a lot to me as my father died 2 years later and never got back to the UK to see his brother again.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 Apr 2013 00:45

I had no interest whatsoever in my or anyone elses genealogy.

My mum in law was like a dog with a bone, kept dropping hints that she'd love to know all about her family but had no idea how to go about it.
We knew that she was pressing our buttons, and really wanted us to do it for her.

She was most interested in her grandparents are their lives, so OH and I finally invested in some SP credits and found her family for her.
She was chuffed, but I realised that I was more worried about all her grandmother's little brothers and sisters.
They were orphaned so young that I just HAD to find out what happened to all 5 of them
It took 3yrs, to unravel their story but.....I was already hooked!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 7 Apr 2013 01:46

My wife was expecting our first baby in 1981 and ( I think it was in Sunday Times colour supplement) there was a wheel diagram of Lady Diana Spencer.

It went back to her 128 5 x gt grandparents - many of whom were American, I seem to remember.

A great uncle had done a magnificent tree of my male line back to 1598 and registered same with College of Arms. So, as I already had so much in that line, I decided to do the same wheel diagram for our bump (a little girl born in 1982 who is currently sunning herself with her husband on Hamilton Island off Queensland). Thought it would be easy. 32 years on, still nowhere near completed :-( :-( But it has been very interesting - and family have been very patient when I have stopped the car and wandered round the graveyard at various spots.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 7 Apr 2013 01:59

Maggie............a great story but you always freak me out late at night!! :-0

:-D xxxx

vera2010

vera2010 Report 7 Apr 2013 02:25

The 1901 census. Magic seeing my grandparents and Auntie.. Me da just missed it and he is lost in the 1911 along with my two aunts. Also couldn't find uncle on my mother's side only to find out that he had his mother's maiden name. That was the first of many surprises.

Vera

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 7 Apr 2013 02:32

I love your avatar Vera.

vera2010

vera2010 Report 7 Apr 2013 02:37

That's me in the front doing the Gay Gordons! Time to come down now as the wear something Scottish day is over now.

Vera