General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 6 Apr 2013 12:57

I am looking for Scottish ancestors and as GR is for England / Wales is there a site I may use for that purpose. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards, Pat

Potty

Potty Report 6 Apr 2013 13:07

Patricia, the site you need is scotlandspeople:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search/birth/index.aspx

This has all Scottish bmds from 1855 (when registration started). It is a pay to view site, ie you buy credits and use them to see search results and images. For BMDs you can view and download images of the original registrations so you don't need to buy certs. It also has parish records from pre1855 and you can view and download images of them.

familysearch site has transcriptions of some records.

This site does have Scottish census records

Potty

Potty Report 6 Apr 2013 13:11

Forgot to mention that Scottish BMDs have more info than English/Welsh ones. Birth certs give date and place of parents' marriage; marriage certs give both parents' names, including mothers' maiden names and death certs give parents' names, again including mother's maiden name. As always, the info is only as good as the informant's knowledge and I have found one birth cert which had the wrong place for the parents' marriage and that was only 2 years after the marriage. The wife obviously didn't find the marriage venue memorable.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 6 Apr 2013 14:47

Patricia, on Scotlands People be careful with records prior to 1855, as they contain very little information, for example if you know a child's D.O.B. and you find the record and pay 5 credits to view, credits cost £7 for 30, hoping it will tell you who the father and mother were, it will probably only tell you who the father was and you probably knew that anyway, found this out to my cost :-(

Don't be afraid to post any query on here, either in Find Ancestors or Genealogy Chat, the volunteers on here are a great bunch, they have helped me no end with my Scottish ancestors :-)

Patricia

Patricia Report 6 Apr 2013 23:03

Thankyou for your help. Will give it a go on Scotlandspeople.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Apr 2013 07:32

Patricia ~

when you download a certificate from Scotlands People, right click on it, and you will be able to email it to yourself. Then keep them on a cloud.

If I remember correctly 1856 birth entries don't give the date of marriage for that person's parents; I think it's the only year without that info.

:-)